Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.9 kernel and broadcom drivers

Beans

3.9 kernel and broadcom drivers

3.9 kernel stopped my broadcom wireless card from working... Fortunately, I had a backup wireless adapter. Other than that it works fine so far.

Out of curiousity, I wonder if these poprietary broadcom drivers are always like this during early kernel upgrades. I have read through Ubuntu+1 threads, and this happens quite often with the wireless drivers...

Beans

Re: how to change repos to Saucy

@cflow: you might consider marking this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1157880 as affecting you, too.

Beans

Re: how to change repos to Saucy

Just did that now... If there's any other info I can give, let me know. Forunately, the drivers work in kernel 3.8.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 3.9 kernel and broadcom drivers

Moved to a separate thread, as it really has nothing to do with the thread it was in.

That being said, I ran into the same problem, but with a different error message from the bug, I'll post it a bit later.

I connected a network cable and did the latest updates, and still no joy. When trying install the latest bcmwl driver, I get the following output:

sudo dpkg -i *deb
    (Reading database ... 185871 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace bcmwl-kernel-source 6.20.155.1+bdcom-0ubuntu6 (using bcmwl-kernel-source_6.20.155.1+bdcom-0ubuntu6_i386.deb) ...
    Removing all DKMS Modules
    Done.
    Unpacking replacement bcmwl-kernel-source ...
    Setting up bcmwl-kernel-source (6.20.155.1+bdcom-0ubuntu6) ...
    Loading new bcmwl-6.20.155.1+bdcom DKMS files...
    Building only for 3.9.0-0-generic
    Building for architecture i686
    Building initial module for 3.9.0-0-generic
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/share/apport/package-hooks/dkms_packages.py", line 22, in <module>
    import apport
    ImportError: No module named apport
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.9.0-0-generic (i686)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/6.20.155.1+bdcom/build/make.log for more information.
    FATAL: Module wl not found.
    update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.9.0-0-generic
    Last edited by cariboo; May 1st, 2013 at 04:15 AM. Reason: added error message

Beans

Sorry for the late responce. I think I got a similar error as you when I updated the kernel recently:

Setting up linux-image-3.9.0-0-generic (3.9.0-0.4) ...
    Running depmod.
    update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
    Not updating initrd symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled
    (3.9.0-0.3 was configured last, according to dpkg)
    Not updating image symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled
    (3.9.0-0.3 was configured last, according to dpkg)
    Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 3.9.0-0-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.9.0-0-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.9.0-0-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.9.0-0-generic
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/share/apport/package-hooks/dkms_packages.py", line 22, in <module>
    import apport
    ImportError: No module named apport
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.9.0-0-generic (i686)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/6.20.155.1+bdcom/build/make.log for more information.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.9.0-0-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.9.0-0-generic
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.9.0-0-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.9.0-0-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.9.0-0-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier 3.9.0-0-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.9.0-0-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 3.9.0-0-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.9.0-0-generic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There was a solution posted in the bug report, but it didn't work for me, Instead I installed the firmware-b43-lpphy-installer package, which did work, and I'm posting this using wireless.

Code:
    *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           physical id: 2
           logical name: wlan0
           serial: 90:4c:e5:41:e4:2f
           capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=b43 driverversion=3.9.0-0-generic firmware=478.104 ip=192.168.0.110 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg

Beans

After I removed the propietary driver and installed the firmware, it worked. I might keep it that way. Thank you...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cflow View Post
    After I removed the propietary driver and installed the firmware, it worked. I might keep it that way. Thank you...
    That was my thought too, the b43 driver works much better this time around, then the last time I tried it.

Beans

Hi
    where is the exact location of coppying operation & how can we exchange it with our own coppying operation ?

Beans
    Hidden!

I disabled the proprietary driver and thought I'd need to install a new driver, but surprisingly - it started working! Not as good as the proprietary driver (when it worked before 3.9), but it works. I don't know why. I can live with it for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast