Thread: Brothers Scanner

Beans

Brothers Scanner

Along with many others, I have found that I cannot scan with my Brothers MFC-J425W, despite having downloaded the proper brscan and brscan-tools programs. However I have just tried running xsane under sudo and to my surprise, after a 15 second delay, it works!
    Does anybody have any suggestions as where I should be looking to change permissions?
    exXP

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Brothers Scanner

Quote Originally Posted by exXP View Post
    Along with many others, I have found that I cannot scan with my Brothers MFC-J425W, despite having downloaded the proper brscan and brscan-tools programs. However I have just tried running xsane under sudo and to my surprise, after a 15 second delay, it works!
    Does anybody have any suggestions as where I should be looking to change permissions?
    exXP
    Are you connected by USB?

From the Brother Website

Ubuntu 9.10, 10.04, 10.10, 11.4, 11.10, 12.04, 12.10
    1. Open "/lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules" file.
    2. Add the following two lines to the end of the device list. (Before the line "# The following rule will disable ..."):
    If there is "LABEL="libsane_rules_end"", add the following 2 lines before "LABEL="libsane_rules_end"".

The lines to be added---------------------------

# Brother scanners
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

3. Restart the OS.
    Also,if connected by usb,it could be a permission problem with the USB port.

To correct,run from a terminal

Code:
    To change permissions for USB scanner:

lsusb | grep -i Brother

which gave me
    Code:

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04f9:01ab Brother Industries, Ltd MFC-240C

so, I entered, 
    Code:

sudo chmod a+w /dev/bus/usb/004/002

and the scanner software fired up perfectly!
    Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans

Thank you for your reply. It is connected via USB. However the printer side works well, so I don't think it can be the permissions of the USB but I will check. Also , following many previous posts from this forum, I have already added the two lines you listed. I will recheck that also when i have time. Another thing I didn't mention, is that the sudo approach only woks in xsane - not in simple-scan, acquire images or guvc2pdf.
    exXP

Beans

I have tried both your suggestions without success ( except that sudo no longer works with xsane) My system uses Bus 001 and device 003, so made those changes. I also added the device identity (028f) to the 40-libsane file. I adopted all the suggestions given in Brother web-site but to no avail. I've even tried going back to 12.10 on a live cd but no luck there.
    Thank you for your efforts anyway.
    exXP

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you rebooted since you made the changes?

Are you running 64-bit version of Ubuntu?
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans

I finally got the scanner working by installing the Brother drivers from the command line instead of the Software Centre. Weird! Anyway I'm back in the scanning business. On a separate post, I also got my Brother HL2240 laser printer working by rejecting the offered driver (HL2170) and using the HL2040 driver. This was a lot more hassle than I usually get with Ubuntu releases!
    exXP