Thread: Live flash drive kernel panic ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Live flash drive kernel panic ubuntu 12.04

I'm a bit of a beginner to Ubuntu, but every time I try to boot Ubuntu 12.04LTS off of a flash drive I get a kernel panic. I have tried it on other pcs and it worked just fine. I have also tried various kernel parameters, but I just get a blinking cursor or a kernel panic. After searching all over the web, I have yet to find a solution to this problem.
    IMG_0365.JPG
    This is my first post, so please go easy on me if I messed anything up.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Live flash drive kernel panic ubuntu 12.04

Have you searched for your specific hardware to see if there are any compatibility issues with that particular computer, video card, etc.?

Beans

I have not searched for specific hardware problems, but it has an AMD64 athlonX2 processor, and an ATI Radeon graphics card (not sure what model). I'm also not sure what board it has. The computer is an older Toshiba Satellite if that's any help. I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on it a long time ago without any problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Have you tried booting the Satellite with Ubuntu 12.04 on a CD?

Have you tried to boot your Satellite with any other distro on usb?

Beans

I have tried to boot Linux Mint 14 on both a DVD and a flash drive, I got the same error message. I have tried Unetbooten and Ubuntu's live usb program.

Beans

I am having the same issue with a recently acquired HP 8710W with an "empty" hard drive. Booted to a USB 12.04 stick with the intent of installing. I get a "kernel panic - not syncing: no init found. Try passing init=option to kernel" error.

I am going to burn the ISO to CD and try from there.

Iss

Beans

I was able to install burning the same ISO to a CD-ROM. It would not work from the USB stick (and that stick had been used on 5 or 6 previous systems with no issues).

Iss