Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Google Chrome acting up lately for anyone else?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is Google Chrome acting up lately for anyone else?

I've found Chrome Beta works better all around. Strangely enough even seems more stable than Stable...

Beans

Hi, After writing that post, it seems I did experience instability with other system components too so I've cleaned out and reseated the RAM stick in another slot. Will buy a new stick if problem persists. So, in this particular case, I think there was a problem with the RAM. But, yeah, Google Chrome has been a little unstable in some versions before also, especially with the new Pepper Flash and all. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Btw, I'm really disappointed to see that Opera browser doesn't support many Facebook games. I love Opera otherwise, but my mother plays those games often so can't use it as primary browser. On the other hand, Chrome does get some small details right. For example, If I'm reading a page and I want to open a link, if I want to open it in the same tab, OF COURSE I'll just click it and not open the context menu. If I'm opening the context menu, then obviously I don't want to interrupt my reading and want to open link in new tab. Chrome rightly puts the options then on top of the context menu. That's something I can't get used to in other browsers, not putting new tab options on top of their context menus. It's also a problem when I want to search a piece of text without interrupting my reading. It's things like this where Chrome excels.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was having the same problem with it crashing all of the time.

In above question on AskUbuntu (answer by vasa1) it was suggested to use the unstable branch to fix the problem. I just dl'd the deb and installed it with gdebi. I'll report back in a day or on the results. If you want to try it yourself you can get it from Softpedia: http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownl...oad-48046.html. Just scroll down for the version you need. I use version 28.

Beans

Hi, vdubeau, in my case it was the ram. However, this crash problem does exist for many users. You may want to search the Chrome developer support group to see if there have been any fix or anything for such issue. What I gathered, it's a problem with some variables in certain user's Chrome user profiles causing Chrome to become unstable and crash all the time. So you may try purging your Chrome user profile. Not sure if the issue has been resolved by the developers, but purging helps some users. Also, some people have issues because of faulty extensions or plugins. So, can try disabling extensions and/or stuff like Flash to see if that resolves the problem.

I've hit these problems before but the new stable has been running smoothly (stable gets updated frequently also), except for the hardware issue I had. I refuse to use an unstable development branch, that's likely to have more issues. So if people are having problems, try the newest stable (there are updates often) from the Chrome website first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had already purged my profile and deleted my extensions and Chrome was still crashing. The unstable was working OK (no crashing) but the longer I used it the slower it went and it seemed that it was also slowing down the system. I stick with Firefox for the time being until Chrome 28 becomes stable.

Beans

Stable latest 26.0.1410.63 is working for me here great now that my RAM issue is fixed. The devs do need to get their act up though, one user even had his browser crash everytime he wrote a letter in the address bar because of a broken autocomplete. I hear you about the unstable having problems though like memory leaks like they happen to you. That's why I try avoid unstable software.

Beans

Why would you ever use Google's instead of Chromium? I had absolutely no problems over X years using it. I even copied the PDF plugin from Google's deb

Beans

Chrome has more multimedia plugins I believe so all your videos and stuff work properly. But, anyway, I'd expect any issue in Chrome to be present in Chromium. Google is the one who develops Chromium, they just repackage the builds with a couple extra plugins and branding. So it doesn't really matter what you are using.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    Chrome has more multimedia plugins I believe so all your videos and stuff work properly..
    Actually Firefox has the most except for updated flash. Gecko-mediaplayer is the most useful multimedia plugin for Linux but unfortunately it somehow doesn't load on Chrome or Chromium.

If I need updated flash I use Chrome, otherwise I use Firefox. Not sure about the point of Chromium and it is quite out of date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mreq View Post
    Why would you ever use Google's instead of Chromium? I had absolutely no problems over X years using it. I even copied the PDF plugin from Google's deb
    See now I see it the other way: why would you use Chromium over Chrome? Chrome is the same browser with more features.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast