Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum needs this I think...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Forum needs this I think...

Hay,

I really wish the forum had a "Thank you" button and a "thanked *so many times*" stat as on other forums. This would really be great to get some people to actually do more than just troll.
    Also a "I slap you in the face with google" button would be nice . These people are getting soooo spoon fed on here that they digress from even just using a search (even a forum search!).

Also wondering how long the "Mark thread as solved" issue is still going to hang around.. It has been a while..

Sigh. awg well. Oka. Bye again.
    Switched away from windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04. Never turned around to look back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Forum needs this I think...

Guess what ...

We used to have a 'thanks' thingy ...

It caused problems from memory.

We're looking at it again though.

As far as the solved plugin - waiting on Canonical now - the plugins we have requested (which just so happens to include a thanks one) have been vetted and we're waiting for them to be installed.

Also a "I slap you in the face with google" button would be nice . These people are getting soooo spoon fed on here that they digress from even just using a search (even a forum search!).
    WE could get one of those - but you'd run the risk of being in conflict with the CoC.

There is nothing to stop people helping AND pointing those asking questions at suitable google results - without the frankly sarcastic LMGTFY

Like this for instance.

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Forum needs this I think...

Hay,

I was unaware of the thanks thingy lol .. But this post was more a stone in a dark wood post than really anything more than that. Would still be awesome.

Yes the google thing would possibly be in conflict with the CoC, but then they should include a "Do at least this much before posting" section and include a link to google, and the forum search. Hmmm... Just some personal irritation towards people that expect everything on a silver platter. But yes, let me not go into that as I do not wish to get into trouble. Something comical would have been fine:
    "Hay buddy! Guess what? Google JUST answered this after years of research . Just click me......."

Hahaha... But yea. That might lead to chaos and people shooting and burning people.

Non the less, thanks for the reply on the "solve thread" button, good to know it is almost back

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The "Thanks" button is a good idea however I think a little paragraph of "How I think you are awesome" would go a long way.
    I scan the forums constantly. By trade I am a Program Manager and have managed many global IT Service Delivery Teams (Level I - III).
    The teams that had to talk to customers or other technical people were always happy, motivated and proud of great comments. I had them always save them so I could review them during their evaluations.
    So I think words and appreciation shown are far more important than a person pushing a button.
    Warprunner
    This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
    ...Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Beans
    Distro

I totally agree!

Nothing like a nice "thank you" with a slight personal touch goes down as good. I really try doing that, but I rarely have issues I need to open a thread and if I do.... It usually just gets lost.. lol.

Oooooew popcorn.. Party brewing on the 3rd floor

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Warprunner View Post
    The "Thanks" button is a good idea however I think a little paragraph of "How I think you are awesome" would go a long way.
    I scan the forums constantly. By trade I am a Program Manager and have managed many global IT Service Delivery Teams (Level I - III).
    The teams that had to talk to customers or other technical people were always happy, motivated and proud of great comments. I had them always save them so I could review them during their evaluations.
    So I think words and appreciation shown are far more important than a person pushing a button.
    I'd wholeheartedly agree with this.

Posting a thanks in a thread that someone has helped you is great.

If you take into account the time people take out of their day to help - 30 seconds to type "Thanks" should be easily found ...

Beans

If a thanks count shows up in the search results or a list of threads, then I think it would be worth having. I agree that a thank-you post is very nice, but being able to scan over a list of thread-title + thanks-count would also be useful.

Beans

Having a "thanks" button would be better than having a thanks post, as most people move on to the next thread, rather than looking back there to see what they have posted, whereas a thanks button would inform the answerer that they have thanked you.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If my information is correct - the plug-in has been requested..,.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    If my information is correct - the plug-in has been requested..,.
    The plugin has bee approved by Canonical IS, and should be installed fairly soon.

I was here when we had the Thank you plugin enabled a few years back, and I will state right now that any abuse of the system, ie: members asking for thank you's in there signature, will be dealt with quickly and without prejudice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast