Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Run DVD Decrypter with Wine for backing up DVDs

Beans

HOWTO: Run DVD Decrypter with Wine for backing up DVDs

This how-to is pretty long because it also walks you through changing your dvd drive's setup to work with Wine and installing and configuring wine itself. Even if you don't want DVD Decrypter but are having Wine configuration problems or want to install Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player, this how-to will help you get it working (delete your ~/.wine directory before starting if you want to follow the Wine config in this how-to because yours isn't working).

SECTION 1: Configure your DVD-RW or DVDROM drive.

First, we setup your DVD-RW drive (or DVDROM if you just want to decrypt DVDs and not burn them) so it will be recognized in Wine. If someone knows a downside to making it run in scsi emulation mode, please tell me so I can add a warning about it.

1. Run:
    Code:
    $ cat /etc/fstab
    And find your dvd-rw drive's device in the output. Eg: hdd

An example might be: /dev/hdd /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
    where your DVD-RW/DVDROM is mounted on /media/cdrom1.

2. Edit the kernel boot paramaters (make a backup first):
    Code:
    $ sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst_backup

$ sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Add 'hdx=ide-scsi' to the end of your kernel line, where 'x' is your dvd-rw drive's device. The correct line is probably the first kernel line (example below) that is not commented with a '#' in front.

Example kernel line including 'hdd=ide-scsi':
    Code:
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-k7 root=/dev/hdb1 ro quiet splash hdd=ide-scsi
    Do not just copy my example because it probably won't work for your computer. Just edit yours, which will be similar. The recovery mode grub boot option will let you go to the console and restore your menu.lst file if this change prevents your computer from booting.

3. Add the ide-scsi module to the module list that your kernel loads, otherwise your kernel will not know how to read from the drive anymore.
    Code:
    $ sudo gedit /etc/modules
    Add the module 'ide-scsi' to the bottom of the list. Example completed /etc/modules file below:

Code:
    ide-cd
    ide-disk
    ide-generic
    lp
    mousedev
    psmouse
    sbp2
    sr_mod
    ide-scsi
    4. Reboot your computer so the ide-scsi settings take effect. After it reboots you should be able to mount CDs and DVDs. Check to make sure you can mount them so we know it's working.

SECTION 2: Install and configure Wine.

Now let's install and configure Wine. If you have Wine already running, skip to the next section where we install DVD Decrypter.

1. Open your apt-get sources file:

Code:
    $ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    Add this line to the end of the file: deb http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ binary/

That will give you the repository for the latest version of Wine and related tools.

2. Install Wine and the configuration utility:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install winetools
    Installing winetools will get you Wine and libwine. We will use winetools to configure Wine.

3. Configure Wine:
    Code:
    $ winetools
    Go through the winetools GUI config. It will help you install various necessary bits to make Wine work better. You do not need to complete the IE 6 installation unless you want IE and Windows Media Player. You can also skip the Arial and other font installations because they're broken anyway (bad download location). Hopefully winetools is self-explanatory so I will not go into more details. When it's done, continue with this how-to. Even if winetools gives you some errors, just keep going with as much as possible.

SECTION 3: Installing DVD Decrypter

1. Go to the DVD Decrypter web site and download the latest version. Continue below after cd-ing to your download directory.

2. Run the DVD Decrypter setup (filename will change if you have a newer version of DVD Decrypter):
    Code:
    wine SetupDVDDecrypter_3.5.4.0.exe
    Go through the DVD Decrypter setup wizard. Accepting the defaults is fine.

3. Run DVD Decrypter:
    Code:
    $ wine ~/.wine/fake_windows/Program\ Files/DVD\ Decrypter/DVDDecrypter.exe
    In the Source dropdown box within DVD Decrypter you should see your DVD-RW/DVDROM selected. If not, return to section 1 and make sure you have scsi emulation working correctly.

To make running DVD Decrypter easier, add it to your Gnome menu using the menu editor.

Beans

Cool Re: HOWTO: Run DVD Decrypter with Wine for copying DVDs

Thanks for this mate! I've been tinkering with Wine/Dvd Decrypter for a while but never got it to pick up the DVD drive until now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HOWTO: Run DVD Decrypter with Wine for copying DVDs

Why not use free tools like dvdrip ? dvdrip work like a charm

Beans

Yeah, I'll vouch for dvdrip. It's in the marillat repositories (see the ubuntu guide for advice on adding these repositories) so you can install it with a few mouse clicks. It works perfectly out of the tin.

But I've never used DVD Decrypter - perhaps it has loads of extra features or a really good user interface?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    Yeah, I'll vouch for dvdrip. It's in the marillat repositories (see the ubuntu guide for advice on adding these repositories) so you can install it with a few mouse clicks. It works perfectly out of the tin.

But I've never used DVD Decrypter - perhaps it has loads of extra features or a really good user interface?
    It has a great interface and provides a good feature set. There were a lot of people not able to install dvdrip because apt couldn't find transcode (see this thread for a solution). I started writing this how-to before that thread was started.

Besides, a lot of people used to using DVD Decrypter on Windows will like being able to use it on Linux. I'm also not sure, does dvdrip support burning .img files?

Beans
    Hidden!

This is a great HOW TO. I use DVD Decrypter in windows and it is the best ripper. IMHO Thanx. Now if I could only get Audiograbber to see the CD-ROM in wine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicAddict
    Now if I could only get Audiograbber to see the CD-ROM in wine.
    Use the same steps for your CDROM as you did for your DVD-RW to make it run with scsi emulation. You won't need to edit /etc/modules again, so just add something like 'hdc=ide-scsi' in your menu.lst file like you did for the DVD-RW device.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny

Thoggen has just about any features dvd decrypter has. Dont get me wrong, decryp is mighty powerful, maybe a little bit too powerful for Windows users *LOL*. But try this linux native:
    http://thoggen.net/screenshots/

Remember kids, We're doing legal *backups* here!
    Last edited by bored2k; April 16th, 2005 at 05:25 PM.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Run DVD Decrypter with Wine for backing up DVDs

I got Audiograbber to see the CD-ROM! But I get a ASPI error. Any Ideas? I got DVD Decrypter workin fine. I wish Thoggen was in the repo. It looks nice.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Run DVD Decrypter with Wine for backing up DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicAddict
    I got Audiograbber to see the CD-ROM! But I get a ASPI error. Any Ideas? I got DVD Decrypter workin fine. I wish Thoggen was in the repo. It looks nice.
    Thoggen:
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/t...6.deb?download

Then
    sudo dpkg-i thoggen_0.3_i386.deb

And whats wrong with linux native audio rippers anyway?
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast