Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best online / brick and mortar vedors for ubuntu laptops?

Beans

Red face Best online / brick and mortar vedors for ubuntu laptops?

Hi

My situation
    --------------------
    • I'm a windows user trying to change to ubuntu. I'm a normal user, NOT a programmer
    • The very word "dual boot" scares me .
    • I'm an everyday user. I switch on a machine and use it for XL, word, powerpoint, PDF, browsing, web E mail etc [NO gaming]
    • I do _not_ do installing OS on my machine !!
    • I need a new laptop, and I'm planning to buy a laptop in the range of i3, 750 GB HDd, 4 GB Ram, 15 inch display etc
    • I live in the Middle East (arabian middle east)
    • The more I look around, the more I find windows on laptops

Request for help :
    ----------------------------
    • Which vendors, manufacturers sell ubuntu laptops ? i.e. those that are made for ubuntu or linux and NOT windows laptops that have dual boot etc
    • Online vendors could be from anywhere ... brick and mortar have to be middle east
    • Usage of the laptop : XL, word, powerpoint [these three to be replaced with libre or open office] , PDF [say Odf], browsing, web E mail etc [NO gaming]
    • IF I have posted on the wrong forum, please direct me to the right one

thanks in advance
    regards

Edit : I have done some reading around. The following points are NOT essential reading for my question.
    Please skip the following if you do NOT have time
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by sandyd; April 30th, 2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: remove M$ slang

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Best online / brick and mortar vedors for ubuntu laptops ? made for ubuntu and NO

Did a quick google search... these aren't brick and mortar, but you can purchase online...

http://linuxpreloaded.com/
    www.ubuntu.com/partners/dell
    https://www.linux.com/news/hardware/...liday-wishlist

Hope that helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Best online / brick and mortar vedors for ubuntu laptops ? made for ubuntu and NO

System76 sells laptops that ship with Ubuntu on them already. They aren't the thinnest or lightest laptops but they come pre-installed with Ubuntu and they provide drivers so that everything on it works perfectly (webcam, wireless, etc.). I have no idea if they ship to your area but it's worth looking into.

www.system76.com
    If all else fails, use fire.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor01 View Post
    System76 sells laptops that ship with Ubuntu on them already. They aren't the thinnest or lightest laptops but they come pre-installed with Ubuntu and they provide drivers so that everything on it works perfectly (webcam, wireless, etc.). I have no idea if they ship to your area but it's worth looking into.

www.system76.com

thanks for this link. I should have mentioned it earlier. This was one of the first places I looked. My country and generally countries around middle east are not covered

ref
    https://www.system76.com/home/shippinginformation/

Asia : India, Japan, South Korea

Even china isn't covered

---------
    regards

Beans

As far as Dell is concerned, I saw this high end Laptop and nothing else

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xp...pd.aspx?~ck=mn

am I missing something ?

------------
    regards

Beans

I checked out https://www.thinkpenguin.com/cart

Gentoo Penguin GNU / Linux Notebook
    • Processor: Dual-Core i3-3110M 2.4Ghz
    • Memory: 2GB DDR3
    • Hard Drive: 750GB
    • Matte Screen Upgrade (non-glossy): LED Wide Screen
    • Notebook Warranty: 1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty
    • Distribution to Install: ubuntu

The above costs $ 811 without shipping costs !!

hmm.... the same laptop with Windows costs $ 500+/-

hmm....

By the way I had NOT selected any of the following which checking the price !!

• Laptop Bag: Select = select means NONE I did not select any !
    • Mouse: Select
    • Mousepads: Select
    • USB Flash Drive: Select
    • Printers & All-in-one Machines: Select

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by AdamTudor View Post
    thanks for this link. I should have mentioned it earlier. This was one of the first places I looked. My country and generally countries around middle east are not covered

ref
    https://www.system76.com/home/shippinginformation/

Asia : India, Japan, South Korea

Even china isn't covered

---------
    regards

Bummer. And as far as Dell is concerned -- that XPS13 is the only laptop I am aware of that they ship with Ubuntu preinstalled. It's very frustrating isn't it? Everything out there is dominated by Windows. Linux has made some great strides, particularly in the past few years, but we still have a long way to go to get the respect and support that Windows and OS X gets. Unfortunately that is just the reality of things.

Just FYI, dual booting doesn't have to be scary. In fact, if you run through the Ubuntu installer it should detect an existing Windows partition and then give you the option to:

- install Ubuntu in the remaining free space (if any unformatted space exists on your hard drive)
    - install Ubuntu alongside Windows (this is dual booting and the installer automates the process!)
    - erase Windows completely and install Ubuntu

It's really actually very easy to make it happen. Best of luck whatever path you choose.
    If all else fails, use fire.

Beans

thanks gamblor01

this list and you people have been the most helpful on ubuntu and related areas

since I am looking for a new laptop, IF I understood you right, the modus operandi should be something like
    - shop for a windows laptop, check your specks etc
    - bring the laptop home
    - connect to internet, download ubuntu (I'm quite ok up till here)
    - then start "install ubuntu operating system or some such thingy " (it starts getting a little bumpy here)
    - and then oh boy the scariest part of it , choose that correct option to install ubuntu alongside windows (middle option in your mail)
    - click away and pray that the laptop will actually start the next day morning and the second next day and .... and ..... ?

right ?

- the only positive thingy is that , IF it still works, I don't have to dump all my windows programs ...hmmm....

- by the way is it different IF I buy a windows 8 laptop ?

thanks a ton

-------
    regards
    Last edited by sandyd; April 30th, 2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: removed window$ slang

Beans

Re: Best online / brick and mortar vedors for ubuntu laptops?

Adam, you may not be able to use existing windows applications or even user created content that has been locked to windows applications but that may not be the end of your world as https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sw...tu/FromWindows gives you an idea of what to consider when moving from Windows to Ubuntu. Ubuntu / opensource applications may then be able to extract and export any Windows locked data and move it into a Ubuntu environment.

Keep asking questions and we will try to answer them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by AdamTudor View Post
    thanks gamblor01

this list and you people have been the most helpful on ubuntu and related areas

since I am looking for a new laptop, IF I understood you right, the modus operandi should be something like
    - shop for a windows laptop, check your specks etc
    - bring the laptop home
    - connect to internet, download ubuntu (I'm quite ok up till here)
    - then start "install ubuntu operating system or some such thingy " (it starts getting a little bumpy here)
    - and then oh boy the scariest part of it , choose that correct option to install ubuntu alongside windows (middle option in your mail)
    - click away and pray that the laptop will actually start the next day morning and the second next day and .... and ..... ?

right ?

- the only positive thingy is that , IF it still works, I don't have to dump all my windows programs ...hmmm....

- by the way is it different IF I buy a windows 8 laptop ?

thanks a ton

-------
    regards
    If you have get a Windows 8 laptop, chances are that it uses UEFI

As far as I know, Ubuntu 13.04, 12.10, and 12.04 all support secure boot. If Ubuntu does not install, you may need to follow the instructions at the UEFI wiki page to get it working.

Also, a read on why soime laptops don't work -> http://askubuntu.com/a/235618
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast