Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weak Wifi signal strength

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Weak Wifi signal strength

Quote Originally Posted by nns2006 View Post
    I am in Vienna and how do you change to channel 8 ? It works good in w7 though.
    Channels are set in your router, not your computer. If your router channel is changed to 8, your computer should automatically detect this change and set itself at channel 8 as well. There are as many differing routers as birds in the sky so cannot give you any more than general instructions. All routers will allow you to access their firmware through a web page where one of the tabs will allow you to set wireless settings. Choose channel 8 with WPA2 (or WPA personal) encryption and AES cipher. Make sure you use a strong encryption passphrase, then make sure you use exactly the same passphrase in your computer. Case matters. Be sure to save changes to router and reboot it. Same with computer. Let us know how it goes!
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

signal strength is only 52%. Isn't it low? It should be atleast more than 85-90 %.
    or I am expecting too much?
    That can also vary with the adapter & its antenna design and software. I have two small USB WiFi adapters. One is a generic ralink rt5370 nano adapter using the rt2800usb driver, the other a TrendNet TEW-649UB using a realtek 8192SU chipset and default Ubuntu driver. The TrendNet adapter will indicate a much stronger signal when plugged into the same USB port and with the same orientation. The RealTek may indicate 95-100% signal strength, the Ralink 67%. Whether it's a more efficient driver or higher quality hardware I'm not sure. It's not strictly device size because I also have an Edimax EW-7811Un adapter which works as well as the Trendnet-RealTek adapter. Careful shopping can yield very reasonably priced accessories sometimes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This
    Link Quality=51/70
    is showing the link quality not signal strength.

To see signal strength run
    Code:
    nm-tool
    then look for your network and signal strength.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am in Vienna and how do you change to channel 8 ? It works good in w7 though.
    I think that I have remembered the reason, it was to avoid interference from DECT cordless phones.

You need to log in to your router go the the wifi section and change the channel.
    Don't do this when connected by wifi! Use a cable.

To log in I go to http://192.168.2.1/ in my browser, yours may be different.
    See the screenshot

Edit: From the Wikipedia article on DECT phones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECT

Frequency: 1880 – 1900 MHz in Europe, 1900 – 1920 MHz in China, 1893 – 1906 MHz in Japan, 1910 – 1930 MHz in Latin America, 1910 – 1920 MHz in Brazil and 1920 – 1930 MHz in the US and Canada, US DECT and DECT 6.0 products may NOT be used in Europe as they cause and suffer from interference with the European cellular networks. Illegal use of such products are prohibited by European Telecommunications Authorities, and European DECT products may NOT be used in the US and Canada as they cause and suffer from interference with US and Canada cellular networks and for that reason is deemed illegal to use by the Federal Communication Commission and Industry Canada. As DECT and DECT 6.0 do not operate in the 2.4 GHz ISM band, they are not subject to the nor cause interference arising in this band from its use by 802.11b and 802.11g Wi-Fi, and 2.4 GHz cordless phones. As such, they are sometimes marketed as 'WiFi friendly'.[7]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by coldraven; May 1st, 2013 at 12:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    I think that I have remembered the reason, it was to avoid interference from DECT cordless phones.

You need to log in to your router go the the wifi section and change the channel.
    Don't do this when connected by wifi! Use a cable.

To log in I go to http://192.168.2.1/ in my browser, yours may be different.
    See the screenshot

Edit: From the Wikipedia article on DECT phones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECT
    Hello,
    sorry for being late to reply.

I tried to change the channel to different values from 3, 4, 6 and 8. But maximum signal strength I can achieve is 65, originally it was 64 for channel 11. Whereas I do see that someone is achieving it 100. where is wrong in my case?
    Code:
        UPC0044562:  Freq 2412 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 100 WPA WPA2

*Patanjali:      Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 62 WPA WPA2 ; for channel 3

*Patanjali:      Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 65 WPA WPA2 ; for channel 8

*Patanjali:      Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 68 WPA WPA2 ; for channel 4

*Patanjali:      Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 62 WPA WPA2 ; for channel 6
    Thank you again for helping me through it.
    "Our duty is to encourage every one in his struggle to live up to his own highest idea, and strive at the same time to make the ideal as near as possible to the Truth." -- Swami Vivekanand

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi.
    That signal strength is 51 of 70 or actually 72.8%.

**Edit** Sorry, I missed the part in DuckHook's post where he explained that.
    Last edited by stylintile; May 9th, 2013 at 10:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro

UPC0044562: Freq 2412 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 100 WPA WPA2
    This is your signal strength to UPC0044562 network, is that the network you are trying to connect too?

The real question is are you having any problems with your connection? if not your questions so far have been answered?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
    This is your signal strength to UPC0044562 network, is that the network you are trying to connect too?

The real question is are you having any problems with your connection? if not your questions so far have been answered?
    Thanks
    This is another network. mine is
    Code:
      *Patanjali:      Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 62 WPA WPA2 ; for channel 3
    and for this
    Code:
    The real question is are you having any problems with your connection?
    Yes, I do have problem. As I said in the begining of the post signal strenght is weak. sometimes it take ages to load even a google news page(only text). Signal keeps on fluctuating as I can see on panel.

Thanks for the help.
    "Our duty is to encourage every one in his struggle to live up to his own highest idea, and strive at the same time to make the ideal as near as possible to the Truth." -- Swami Vivekanand

Beans
    Distro

Hi, copy and paste this command in the terminal (ctrl+alt+t) please:
    Code:
    wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
    It will download a script and create a text file in your home folder with wireless information so we can see the condition of your wireless at this time and the Mac address, WPA key and WEP key are removed for your security, then reply back, click on the paper clip and attach the netinfo.txt file.

If you do not have ethernet either then follow the directions at this link for running the script without internet.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12350385
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast