Thread: Every time I copy files to usb key and try eject after it "Failed to Eject"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Every time I copy files to usb key and try eject after it "Failed to Eject"

xubuntu 12.04
    using Thunar 1.2.3
    I copy a file from hard drive to usb key
    When it finishes, I want to eject so I click the eject button and Thunar states:
    Code:
    Failed to Eject
    Failed to eject medium; one or more volumes on the medium are busy..
    and a notification pops up stating:
    Code:
    Writing data to device
    There is data that needs to be written to the device "FILES" before it can be removed. Please do not remove the media or disconnect the drive
    I've tried restarting Thunar but it doesn't help.
    Only thing that seems to allow ejection is to reboot. I know the file is finished copying because it opens and is same size as original.

Why won't thunar or whatever file-copying utility does the copying release the drive?

thanks

BlinkinCat is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Every time I copy files to usb key and try eject after it "Failed to Eject"

Hi,

I believe you will find that you need to unmount USB before you can eject it.

Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for the reply but it didn't help.
    I think the Eject button should unmount or what is the button for?

Regardless, I went to Settings/Disk Utility, selected the drive and clicked the Unmount Volume button.

An error popped up:
    Error unmounting volume
    An error occurred while perfoming an operation on "FILES" (Partition 1 of Verbatim STORE N GO): The device is busy
    Details> Cannot unmount because file system on device is busy
    It may be interesting to note that in /media there is both a FILES and a STORE N GO mounted. But they are one and the same and Thunar only shows FILES.

I tried in terminal with sudo umount /media/FILES but same error
    umount: /media/FILES: device is busy.
    (In some cases useful info about processes that use
    the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))
    i tried typing lsof(8) in terminal but wasn't recognized

Is there a way to see what is keeping the drive busy?

Beans
    Hidden!

All I know is that I used Disk Utility to unmount my USB's in 12.04 - then I could eject them.

Other than that I can't help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When you get that message "Failed to eject medium; one or more volumes on the medium are busy.."
    open a terminal and run this command:

lsof | grep "/media"

& see if you can tell from the output which process is using a file on the usb key.

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you get an option to unmount if you right click on Store N Go?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by r.stiltskin View Post
    When you get that message "Failed to eject medium; one or more volumes on the medium are busy.."
    open a terminal and run this command:

lsof | grep "/media"

& see if you can tell from the output which process is using a file on the usb key.
    one line refers to FILES:
    Code:
    tumblerd  11335      finny   10r      REG       8,33  1478387712         95 /media/FILES/20130202.avi
    upon googling tumblerd it appears to be a bothersome thumbnail generator http://askubuntu.com/questions/89826/what-is-tumblerd
    "And the damn thing can lock your USB drive..."

would you recommend uninstalling tumblerd?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No. There are a few bug reports related to this. According to this one on bugs.archlinux the problem seems to be a mistake in tumblerd's dependencies. It seems to be missing one or more of gstreamer0.10-plugins. Try installing gstreamer0.10-plugins-good.

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good

Beans
    Distro

thanks for the reply and link
    I'll try the install tonight some time.

btw, what version of xubuntu are you running?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My main desktop now is running Xubuntu 12.10. I've never had a problem like yours, but that may be because I've routinely installed alll of the gstreamer0.10 plugins on all of my Linux machines for years.

So I have Thunar on this machine & it "works", but I've never liked it so I use Nautilus (configured for "no-desktop").