Thread: install bootable live USB for Ubuntu 13.04 with linux

Beans

[solved] install bootable live USB for Ubuntu 13.04 with linux

I installed Ubuntu 13.04 on my USB stick using Universal USB Installer in Windows. This worked fine and I was able to boot. However, I destroyed my Windows installation (trying to install Ubuntu) and I don't have a working windows system at home currently. I have tried using Unetbootin to install "ubuntu-13.04-desktop-amd64.iso", however, it does not boot. I can seem the files are there. I download a new image in case it was corrupt but that made no difference. I can install "linuxmint-14.1-mate-dvd-64bit.iso" with Unetbootin (and Manjaro) and it boots fine. Is there something special about Ubuntu 13.04? I have also tried the dd command but that never gives a booting USB.
    Last edited by raxman; May 2nd, 2013 at 06:47 AM.

Beans

Re: install bootable live USB for Ubuntu 13.04 with linux

Strange, kubuntu-13.04-desktop-amd64.iso installs and boots just fine on my USB. I tried ubuntu-13.04-desktop-amd64.iso again just to make sure and it still fails to boot.

Beans

I'm having the same problem. I've been using unetbootin for a long time with no problems. But with 13.04 iso, when I boot from usb it says "Operating system wasn't found".

Beans

It works fine with Universal USB Installer in Windows though. Also Kubuntu 13.04 install to USB and boots fine with unetbootin. It's a bit ironic that I need to use Windows to install Ubuntu 13.04 on the USB but I don't have windows anymore because Ubuntu 13.04 turned my system into a blinking pointer...two more days of effort and still no luck.

Beans
    Hidden!

Please describe your computer: as much as possible, but at least desktop/laptop/netbook/, cpu, ram, graphics chip/card. This make it easier to give good advice.

What BIOS/UEFI system is it, and what Windows version?

I have been able to make USB boot drives with Unetbootin as well as with dd and usb-creator-kde during the testing period of Raring (13.04).

Beans

All the details of my system can be found in this post
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1927626

OCZ 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive
    EVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified 3072 MB PCI Express 2.0
    ASUS LPCIe 3.0 and UEFI BIOS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Internal 12XReadable and DVD-Writable Drive with Lightscribe SH-B123L/BSBP
    Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4 GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor
    Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel

Why does Kubuntu 13.04 install and not ubuntu 13.04 on the USB with unetbootin?

Beans
    Hidden!

That's new hardware, and it should certainly be able to run any flavour of Ubuntu. The only reason Unetbootin would work with Kubuntu but not Ubuntu, is some minor bug in Ubuntu or Unetbootin, or that one of the softwares is not up to date. But if you clone the iso file to the USB drive with dd, it should definitely work, if the iso file is good. I've done it a lot of times. Did you check with md5sum, that the download was successful?

Furthermore, are you using up-to-date iso files, the released version, or old alpha or beta testing versions from February?

- Is Windows 7 installed with UEFI?
    - Is 'secure boot' on?

I suggest that you follow the suggestion by YannBuntu in the other thead, and report the result.

Beans

Thank you for your reply.
    I did md5sum ubuntu-13.04-desktop-amd64.iso and it reported a hash value that is not on the webpage
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes#A13.04

I downloaded the iso again and checked the hash and it matches the one on the webpage. Now it boots. Another problem solved! Thank you! Lucky, it's May 1st and I have the day off. I might get this all working by the end of the day.

Beans
    Hidden!

I glad that I could help you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raxman View Post
    It works fine with Universal USB Installer in Windows though. Also Kubuntu 13.04 install to USB and boots fine with unetbootin. It's a bit ironic that I need to use Windows to install Ubuntu 13.04 on the USB but I don't have windows anymore because Ubuntu 13.04 turned my system into a blinking pointer...two more days of effort and still no luck.
    I was also able to get it working using Universal USB Installer http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/
    I've actually been trying to do it on Windows. So going for an alternative of unetbootin was going to be the solution and it worked.