Thread: Putting extra security layers on Ubuntu

Beans

Putting extra security layers on Ubuntu

Hello, everyone. I've installed Ubuntu 2 months ago and I really like it. But, I come from Windows and I still feel I need to secure my system. I have a lot of roommates and I really don't trust them. We share the same wireless network. How can I make my Ubuntu more secure? I know that Linux is very secure but how do I put extra security layers so that my computer is virtually uncrackable? Thank you for your help.

Beans

Re: Putting extra security layers on Ubuntu

What have you tried?
    Have you started with the basics? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Make sure you set an administrative password on your router, not just a password to connect. Turn off uPnP. Stick to the guide that was just posted and you should be fine ^^
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by babas87 View Post
    Hello, everyone. I've installed Ubuntu 2 months ago and I really like it. But, I come from Windows and I still feel I need to secure my system. I have a lot of roommates and I really don't trust them. We share the same wireless network. How can I make my Ubuntu more secure? I know that Linux is very secure but how do I put extra security layers so that my computer is virtually uncrackable? Thank you for your help.
    Since you do not trust your roommates and you are sharing the same wireless network (i.e. in the same subnet), you may worry about the ARP Spoofing attack.

Samiux

Beans

If your room mates have physical access to your computer, then all bets are off. So if you are truly paranoid, get a lockable steel cabinet.

Beans

Obligatory xkcd link https://xkcd.com/1200/.