Thread: no touchpad, no sound

Beans

no touchpad, no sound

I installed Ubuntu 13.04, but it had a lot of problems, so I reinstalled 12.04

Now I have no touchpad. System Settings>Mouse and Touchpad has no tab 'Touchpad', although it did work before, and during the installation, reinstallation.

Also, I now have no sound. System Settings>Sound elicits no sound from the test buttons. The sound card is not set, Output reads 'Dummy Output'

This is a Toshiba 600D Satellite.

Any tips out there???

Beans

Re: no touchpad, no sound

Still have no touchpad and no sound, any kind soul have a tip??

Beans

same problem for me in the latest lenovo laptop

Beans

Something is fishy! I have had such problems with Ubuntu these last 2 days, I nearly went and bought a new laptop, I was sure this one was broken, but Fedora 18 installs and works no problem, except, I can't get Chinese input working! There is always a catch!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Pedroski55 View Post
    I installed Ubuntu 13.04, but it had a lot of problems, so I reinstalled 12.04

Now I have no touchpad. System Settings>Mouse and Touchpad has no tab 'Touchpad', although it did work before, and during the installation, reinstallation.

Also, I now have no sound. System Settings>Sound elicits no sound from the test buttons. The sound card is not set, Output reads 'Dummy Output'

This is a Toshiba 600D Satellite.

Any tips out there???
    Try running

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Beans

真的吗?
    I installed Ubu 12.04 on a computer at work in about 30 mins. Then I used Startup Disk Creator to make a usb boot stick. That got my laptop limping to a start using an older kernel, 3.2. Then I updated, although the touchpad mouse would not work. After an update, I could boot the 3.5 kernel, and suddenly, touchpad and sound were working again!!

The newest kernel 3.8.* will not boot.
    I thought my laptop had memory problems, or some kind of mechanical failure, but I reinstalled Fedora 18 3 times these last 3 days. No problems. Also, Windows works. If one kind of Linux can install, and the other can't, maybe the problem is with the Linux version. I also tried to install Slackware, but that would not boot. Same kind of problem.

I am not an computer person. I just need my laptop to work, and I don't like windows, especially here in China. It is very intrusive. Maybe I'll buy a new laptop soon, see if that works ok.

One thing I learned these last few days: don't upgrade if you don't need to. Don't upgrade just to have the newest version!!
    Last edited by Pedroski55; May 1st, 2013 at 12:09 AM.