Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: why I despise Linux -> another weekend lost to a blinking cursor

Beans

Re: why I despise Linux -> another weekend lost to a blinking cursor

I've been building my own PCs since 2000. I'm due to do that again this year. I get start with the best Intel chip but I draw the line at $1000 video cards or any sound cards. I've installed every MS OS from ME, every Ubuntu since 10.04 and Mint Mate 13. I've encountered all kinds of issues from bent processor pins, to SCSI issues when they first came out to things improperly plugged in from case to MB (by a retailer) to OS issues (ME was the worst) I loved Amiga but I had to go into the install disc and make some changes to the OS for it to install properly. I also had to do some re-writing on my SCSI install floppy just to get the HDD to boot up so that I had something to install on. I had a Voodoo3000 installed but the guy didn't include a fan, big problems for days there. An MS OS disabled all my DVD burners because I installed Nero. I once had a little cheap HDD given to me. 5oo MB. It had all kinds of software on a separate partition. One them- an famous anti virus actually had a virus on it. So every time I installed and then installed the anti virus I got a virus that disabled my system. Took me a while to figure that out.

I could go on but I love building PCs and installing the latest OSs on them. Lately the restaurant cash register touch screen style interface has left me cold but not so much as the loss of functionality that I've enjoyed over the last 13 years, coupled with the frustrating responses that imply these MacDonald's cash register style OSs are the future when actually they come from the past and loss of functionality is moving backwards not forwards.

Yet I persevere. Lately I'm taken to bitching on-line.

I moved to Ubuntu because it's free, it works as welll as anything out there and it's much easier to get in the places that I work. Did I mention that on Ubuntu 13 my claendar is in the native language and style of the country I now reside? So is SM player. They are useless to me.

A black screen with a flashing curser? I had a purple screen once. Spent the weekend re-installing a couple times, searching the net. Then I found that because I had my HDMI plugged into my TV set but I was watching TV while I worked so I didn't know that Ubuntu 10.10 had chosen my TV as the default screen. That's where the log-in was while my secondary PC screen was just purple waiting for me to log in before it came to life.

My PC kept rebooting. The problem? A bad wall outlet. The plug was kinda loose I guess so plugging my system into another outlet solved the proble. Fortunately the house I was living in didn't burn down. Another lost weekend.

Booting with a USB failed and failed until I found that I have to check some box to discard extra files or the USB install wouldn't function properly. That was a black screen with a flshing curser. Startup disc creator has had this issue for year or more. Why doesn't someone fix it?

This is a fun hobby but sometimes I have to work and that's when I get really po'd if something breaks or an upgrade kills off funtionality in the name of trendiness, mindless change for change sake or whatever.

This board is pretty good at helping except when it comes to separate X screens. I take back the italicized comment. I am now following advice from another poster to fix this.
    Last edited by VietCanada; April 29th, 2013 at 08:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

slightly offtopic: the fun are similar posts by Linus on G+. he then often discribes how he hacked the linux incompatible hardware and made it work...

ontopic - lesson learned: widnows [only] compatibly hardware will work well with windows.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Wow, that's more comments than I expected! If it's any consolation I installed Linux on my asus ux31a ultrabook with no problems a few months ago. I overwrote Windows8 which is a disaster. Anyway, if I find some time in the next week, month, or year I'll try installing Linux again on this desktop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    slightly offtopic: the fun are similar posts by Linus on G+. he then often discribes how he hacked the linux incompatible hardware and made it work...

ontopic - lesson learned: widnows [only] compatibly hardware will work well with windows.
    Thanks for reminding me.
    When I upgraded to Vista my brand new, just purchased, just on the market $1100 3ccd Panasonic video camera software wouldn't work. My brand new $125 just on the market just purchased HP printer software wouldn't work. My new $100 pc camera wouldn't work, even my $10 optical mouse died although I think that was a coincidence. I already mebtioned the issues with my brand new just on the market SCSI with ME and brand new Nero software.

I've had many problems with NVIDIA cards with MS over the years. I even switched to ATI for a time because of it. Updating issues.

Like I said, IMHExperience Linux works as well as anything out there. Companies that only write software for MS are not a Linux problem IMHO that's a systemic issue that should die out as the OS market diversifies and the market share shrinks for those fossils.

Beans

do you have uefi? do this.
    Download ubuntu amd64 iso.
    Put the pendrive on a linux system. even a VM is fine.

Use partition tools to create the pendrive to be witha GPT partition table.
    Have the partition on the pendrive formatted/created as "EFI SYSTEM PARTITION"(a couple of clicks in disks do the trick)
    Copy the files from the iso on the new pendrive. yes, simply copy over the files.
    reboot, disable secureboot and set the boot devices as the pendrive
    install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raxman View Post
    Wow, that's more comments than I expected! If it's any consolation I installed Linux on my asus ux31a ultrabook with no problems a few months ago. I overwrote Windows8 which is a disaster. Anyway, if I find some time in the next week, month, or year I'll try installing Linux again on this desktop.
    Thanks for sharing your rage, it really helps, especially when you seem to like Windows more and don't have time for Linux, it seems like your rage sure is surprising to me.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    You use an OS for 10 years, buy an incompatible piece of hardware, decide to ragequit over it, then come back to make your very first post to Ubuntu forums to tell us about it. Thanks so much for sharing.
    This response had me looking for the "Like" button! I was wondering about the 10 years vs. 1 weekend part too!

Beans

WOW! I am new to this forum - got some great help the other nite and now this . . . sooo entertaining. This forum is awesum!

BTW I am a recent convert and still run Windows 7 in virtualBox, you know "just in case" been on Windows since Windows 95
    so don't tell me about hassals with new releases oh and not to mention security and stability and poor performance issues and the
    biggest issue - the MS rip off

I am running Ubuntu 13.04 FOR FREE and if I don't like it I can try Linux Mint FOR FREE (actually I am running it right now on virtualBox)
    Try hopping around between version and re-installing Windows at a whim.

Sorry - sometimes playing with this stuff gets you burned but at least with Linux it never cost you anything but your time and if you don't want to mess
    with it then don't mess with it.

Beans

^Welcome! Practically all Linux forums are amazing, although not all are as friendly as some!
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Thanks your for your reply. I managed to to finally install Kubuntu 13.04 on this system and boot.
    I followed the device at the following link and used a MBR partition with gparted to create a MSDOS partition.
    http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/858

Then I installed Kbuntu which failed to install grub at the end of installation. The reason I used Kubuntu 13.04 is because unetbootin fails to install ubuntu 13.04 on my USB but Kubuntu works.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2140424

Finally, I downloaded "linux-secure-12.10-64bit.iso" and installed that on my USB, booted with a freeze, rebooted with nomodeset which worked and ran BootRepair. Then I rebooted and finally no blinking cursor and Grub started.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Kubuntu and ubuntu don't work with my wireless device so I don't have Internet working yet. In other words, I could not download BootRepair.

Here is a suggestion. Install BootRepair on the main Ubuntu iso images not just the secure one!!!

Now to fix my wireless...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast