Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TP-Link WN821 wifi problems on Precise Pangolin 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: TP-Link WN821 wifi problems on Precise Pangolin 12.04

I'm glad I read XKCD, then. sudo make me a sandwich!

I encountered the same three files under my configuration as well. rtl8192cu, rtl8192c_common, and rtlwifi seemed to be the same troublemakers. They were blacklisted and the problem was dealt with.

I then extracted the drivers from Realtek's website (porting them over from a USB, extracting them onto the desktop, opening the folder, then right clicking on install.sh, and selecting the 'Allow executing as program" under the Permissions tab.

I then restarted the computer.

Upon logging in, the wireless icon did its light-up animation. The problem persists.

I intend to attach the new netinfo.txt to demonstrate the appropriate changes made.

What else could I consider?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Attachment 242019

Here is the new netinfo.txt file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by UncleAsriel View Post
    I then extracted the drivers from Realtek's website (porting them over from a USB, extracting them onto the desktop, opening the folder, then right clicking on install.sh, and selecting the 'Allow executing as program" under the Permissions tab.

I then restarted the computer.
    The good part is - you gave us a very good description of what all you did.
    The not-so-good part is - 1) what you have done so far is not enough, and 2) Your method of black listing is 'slightly' incorrect.

Before you proceed to replace the native driver with the downloaded one (you haven't done it so far), I'd recommend you try the "swenc=Y" parameter I suggested in my previous post. It won't hurt anything even if didn't work, and will be a better choice if it did work.

ONLY If that option doesn't help, go ahead with installation of the downloaded one as follows -
    1. Open a terminal.
    2. Go into the directory in which you have extracted the downloaded driver package. For example, if it is RTL_DRIVER folder on the Desktop, then enter the command
      Code:
      cd ~/Desktop/RTL_DRIVER
    3. Once in, run -
      Code:
      sudo ./install.sh
    4. Enter your password when asked by sudo, and let the process finish. Watch out for any errors. Post back if there are.

Now to correct the blacklisting of the native drivers (obviously don't do it if the swenc=Y trick works for the native one) -
    1. Open the blacklist.conf file as root - gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    2. Now change the last three lines (that you have added) such that -

Code:
    rtl8192cu
    rtl8192c_common
    rtlwifi
    become-
    Code:
    blacklist rtl8192cu
    blacklist rtl8192c_common
    blacklist rtlwifi
    Proofread, save and close. Reboot and check -
    Code:
    lsmod
    You shouldn't see any of the blacklisted drivers in the output. Instead, you should see the 8192cu driver loaded as Kurt mentioned.

Let us know of the outcome.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ha ha!

Thank you, doing the Blacklist the right way was what did it! (I tried the sweck=Y method and it failed).

Thank you so much! I'm going to close this topic now. Now I'm off to learn the basic primers of proper command line commands! Thank you all for your patience and continued support!

Beans
    Distro

Thank you, doing the Blacklist the right way was what did it!
    Glad it worked. Please consider marking the thread as [Solved] now. Follow the 'See how' link in my signature to see how to do that. Thanks!
    Varun

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks, Varunendra.

This is embarassing, I can't seem to get the prefix option available. Like coffeecat discussed in the link in your signature, my display when I go advanced on the editing feature looks different (it resembles this more than this)

Last night I changed the threat title to [SOLVED], and put in the editing reason for it, too. Unfortunately, I'm experiencing the same issue a number of users discussed. By putting [Solved] into the title, it shows that the title of the post in-thread has my changes, but when viewed from the Absolute Beginners section, it show these changes. Sorry, mod team! I tried my best!
    Last edited by UncleAsriel; May 1st, 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

This is embarassing, I can't seem to get the prefix option available.
    No prob., I requested the mod team to do that for you. You can always communicate with the mods/admins directly by using the "Report Post" button at the bottom of each post. It is there to communicate with mods where necessary, that's all
    Last edited by varunendra; May 2nd, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
    Varun

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi UncleAsriel.

This describe how to mark the thread as solved on the current (new) forums.

Let us know if you have any problem with that.
    Regards.

P.S.: thanks for the heads up varunendra

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you, varunendra. I figured that would be the next step, but I wasn't sure about the mods attitudes towards that. (Some forums I've been on have had mods extremely displeased with the use of reports for anything other than dealing with problem users).

papibe, I'm afraid I'm still encountering the same problem as before. I click the Edit Post button at the very first post of the thread, click Go Advanced, but there is no Prefix dropdown button for me to manipulate. I must say, I'm stymied.

Thanks all the same for your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12