Thread: Ubuntu touch

Beans

Ubuntu touch

I am wondering. The Ubuntu dock sration will it be able to take a graphic card, HDD, an two monitors or not. If not it will be no good for intensive graphic software and games. Super Steam games will also need this and in my work i use two monitors. I love the idea of the Ubuntu fone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu touch

I don't think the idea of the Ubuntu Phone is to run intensive software and AAA games. You'd be limited by the phone's CPU, RAM, storage and no x86 compatibility. If you're going to stuff a better x86 CPU, more RAM, a hard disk and a graphics card into the dock it would probably cost more than a computer.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Hello,

I have a question about Touch... I own a Creative, Zen Touch 2 (8 GB). If I am in the wrong area could you please redirect me? Will I be able to run that, or "Phone" on the device? The Android 2.2.1 that is on it... is VERY buggy... and since I have Ubuntu on my touch screen desktop (can't get the touch to work though... "nextwindow" technology built in), I would like to improve the Zen with Ubuntu...

Thanks in advance...

Ps... where would I go for flashing instructions?

Joey

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Canonical the supporter of Ubuntu is a software company. The hardware is entirely the responsibility of any Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) that decides to bring a Ubuntu touch device to market and that includes hubs to turn the Ubuntu smart phone into a PC. As pointed out the limitations of the phone hardware will limit what the OS is capable of. As is true today on the desktop.

Canonical is not intending to have 2, 3 or more Ubuntu platforms. The intention is for one Ubuntu platform to run across those four form factors. And the intention is for OEMs to bring these devices to market. Today we download Ubuntu and install it on our desktop/laptop machines. We will still be able to do that with Ubuntu 14.04. But do not expect to do the same with a mobile device. Not unless someone other than Canonical decides to port the OS to that device.

See the specification

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/operators-and-oems

The assumption is that today's smartphones are just as powerful as today's laptops and better than many of yesterday's desktops. Certainly more powerful than my old machine.

Progress for Ubuntu Touch

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices
    Last edited by grahammechanical; April 27th, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530