Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with the new Nautilus?

Beans

What's wrong with the new Nautilus?

I've been using Ubuntu for a few months now and the transition to 13.04 was very, very positive in many ways. I can't see myself using another distro in the near future as I absolutely love the Dash, the launcher, Software Center etc. The one thing that bothers me more than anything, though, is the new Nautilus.

This new version for the previously workable file manager literally makes me feel frustrated when using my computer now. When you start typing letters in a directory, trying to find a file like you normally could do (even in Windows, let alone Nautilus 3.4), it rather uses the search feature which takes a longer amount of time to work and looks for files in subdirectories too, which can be extremely confusing when looking for the actual desired file. I can't even press backspace to go up one level now! I know they tried to eliminate "unnecessary" features to keep it simple and maybe get it to work in a mobile environment too, but I fail to realize how these features are unnecessary by any means.

So, just came by to ask what's your opinion about it, and which file browser would be a better alternative for now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: What's wrong with the new Nautilus?

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For an alternative to Nautilus, give Marlin a try. It's quite nice. Thunar (file manager for the XFCE desktop) is worth looking at too.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I suppose you could use Muffin which is the Cinnamon Nautilus equivalent, however I'm not sure if you would need to pull in more dependencies.

Beans

Just been trying out the new Nautilus for myself on a 13.04 live disc. I've always been a staunch supporter of Gnome and, while I still very much am, I can understand why many would dislike Nautilus now. I think I would be able to use it, but it really feels bare and missing everyday features, and would soon prove frustratingly lacking.

Back on KDE sanity now, and Dolphin, which feels in comparison so far in advance of Nautilus. Of course, they are aimed at different types of user though.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    I suppose you could use Muffin which is the Cinnamon Nautilus equivalent, however I'm not sure if you would need to pull in more dependencies.
    Nemo is the Cinnamon Files equivalent.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    I thought muffin is the window manager, a mutter fork.

But yeah, there are a lot of things wrong with nautilus, mostly things having to do with dropping beloved features.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

I dislike the new version of Nautilus too, it's very buggy.

Try Thunar, it's the XFCE equivelant to Nautilus.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

the previous version was much better. the "F3" function is gone completely. this was a very useful feature to open 2 windows, for moving files around. a pity: when Canonical starts tweaking, we lose features. anyone listening?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Linux Mint Mate 14 (based on 12.10) uses Caja 1.4--less annoyances, faster performance.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast