Thread: Xfce4-volumed (0.2.0) not working with Alsa (anymore?)

Beans
    Hidden!

Xfce4-volumed (0.2.0) not working with Alsa (anymore?)

Since 13.04 I installed it and of course, everything seems to work just fine. However, it turns out that xfce4-volumed was upgraded in Ubuntu Raring.

Looking at the xfce git repo for xfce4-volumed, it was not released from there.

Instead, Ubuntu made it's own. And this made a lot of things more obvious: they added support for Pulseaudio. They replaced gstreamer with Pulseaudio to fix a lot of bugs related to somewhat more complex audio setups like bluetooth headsets and such.

Bottom line is, it's not working anymore with normal Alsa. I added my own keys (e.g. 'amixer sset Master (%1+|%1-|toggle)') for the respective keys. But, there is no visual display of volume anymore.

Does anyone know of a nice drop-in replacement?
    linux-git/fs/super.c: "Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...\n",

Beans

Re: Xfce4-volumed (0.2.0) not working with Alsa (anymore?)

we have 'old-releases.ubuntu.com' and 11.04 distro (the one I tried, you can try 11.10). I think 12.04 change it all, not sure.

Extract from package 'xfce4-volumed_0.1.12-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb' the binary 'xfce4-volumed' where you want. (I'm under 64 bits)

Make a symbolic link to libnotify.so named libnotify.so.1 in the same path.

Run the old xfce4-volumed and you're done.

Happy Volume OSDing under Alsa at 13.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks, I'll try that sometime. In the meantime, I just used amixer with keybindings to fix it. But, that does not give any visual feedback :/ . So this might come in handy. Didn't knew about the old-releases site as well.
    linux-git/fs/super.c: "Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...\n",

Beans

Sorry, I took the package from here, forger the ubuntu distro:

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubunt...ntu1_amd64.deb (or i386 or what you have)

With this one I had no problem with osd and multimedia keys under alsa (without pulseaudio) under xubuntu 13.04

DO NOT INSTALL THE PACKAGE, extract xfce4-volumed, rename it like what you want, save it at /usr/bin/ and make the symlink I wrote before.

Execute it at startup user session .