Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing bottom panel and add buttons to top panel

Beans

Removing bottom panel and add buttons to top panel

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 and classic desktop. The bottom panel gets in the way of programs like kdenlive and I want to remove it. I found a procedure to delete it super key alt right click on the panel, delete.

But once I remove this panel is there a way to add a button to the TOP PANEL to Show Desktop and the one that selects programs you have running?

Show desktop and the program select buttons are good to have the bottom bar just bugs me.

I'm using System 76 Starling

Jim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Removing bottom panel and add buttons to top panel

If you prefer that sort of minimalist look, have you considered just assigning a keyboard shortcut to these functions and doing away with as many icons as possible? I've been on Unity long enough now that recalling how to do things on Gnome classic is fading quickly, but I believe that you can define a custom keyboard shortcut to do just about anything.

You might also like Xubuntu with its top panel only and hiding dock.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sunwatt View Post
    I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 and classic desktop. The bottom panel gets in the way of programs like kdenlive and I want to remove it. I found a procedure to delete it super key alt right click on the panel, delete.

But once I remove this panel is there a way to add a button to the TOP PANEL to Show Desktop and the one that selects programs you have running?

Show desktop and the program select buttons are good to have the bottom bar just bugs me.

I'm using System 76 Starling

Jim
    To add things to top panel you press alt key plus right click with the mouse over an empty place in the top panel.

Beans

Thanks but I prefer working with the mouse, so like buttons.

Beans

Thanks, I looked at the available buttons for the top panel and dont see Show desktop or the button that lists all programs running. I forget what thats called.

On the bottom panel each program is shown, and one click and its up. Also the show desktop button is down there. It seems that I have to keep the bottom panel if I want those important functions.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by claracc View Post
    To add things to top panel you press alt key plus right click with the mouse over an empty place in the top panel.
    In this case it is super key alt right click and add to panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Using the same key combination you can add items to panel . See the menu when using Super +Alt + Right Click.
    “ Diversity: The art of thinking independently together ”

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can also drag stuff from Applications menu. To get the desktop on top super+alt or whatever yours uses, add to panel, show desktop. Another way just tell the bottom panel to be at top and then add the other top stuff you need.I also like left panel as most monitors now are very wide.

Beans

Super key and alt with right click on top panel under the menu I looked in Customise and there is cut paste print and afew other items but I dont see the buttons I want. The one that shows what programs are running and the one that clears the desktop. Those dont seem to be available, or Im missing something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    In this case it is super key alt right click and add to panel.
    why?, I have ubuntu 12.04, gnome fallback desktop (classic), and it is enough pressing alt+right click button mouse in an empty area of panel to see the menu for add to panel, don't need super key.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast