Thread: I hate editing Fstab -__- Please help =(

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I hate editing Fstab -__- Please help =(

Hi,

I've installed Ubuntu 13.04, yesterday. It's pretty good, except a few stuff I have to fix (Oh, and the last Nautilus is BAD. XD).
    I was surprised when I realised that Pysdm was no more installable. I only used it to automount partition from a GUI. I know it's really old, and referred as "badly programmed" by some, but I only used it to automount my Windows partition, and never got any problem.

So now, I have to do this manually, but I always have trouble with the fstab file... -__- I would like to be able to edit this file manually on my own, later.
    Here's my current Fstab file. After reading a tutoriel, I've added the "rw" settings myself, hoping my NTFS partitions would be readable on the next reboot, but no. I've also added the "auto" setting, but I don't understand: the partition were mounted automatically even before that. How, that's what I would like to know.

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>

#Entry for /dev/sda9 :
    UUID=33f9883d-fede-43bc-90d7-af29c7a1f6fe    /    ext4    errors=remount-ro    0    1
    #Entry for /dev/sda8 :
    UUID=7BCBDD1058C5D153    /media/DATA    ntfs-3g    defaults,nls=utf8,umask=0222,user,auto,rw    0    1
    #Entry for /dev/sdc1 :
    UUID=D2CCB5D2CCB5B159    /media/gamex/USB_GAMEX    ntfs-3g    defaults,nls=utf8,umask=0222,nosuid,nodev    0    0
    #Entry for /dev/sda3 :
    UUID=B6E88D0CE88CCC55    /media/Windows7_OS    ntfs-3g    defaults,nls=utf8,user,rw,auto,umask=0222    0    1
    #Entry for /dev/sda6 :
    UUID=3b44bdda-dbc7-405a-b4c2-d314939ec30d    /home    ext4    defaults    0    2
    #Entry for /dev/sda7 :
    UUID=417a922d-e910-48f2-853f-4ba9849edeb5    none    swap    sw    0    0
    And here's my actual partition table:
    http://i.imgur.com/GeiNLxW.png

I would like to automatically mount Windows7_OS and DATA, with the read, write (And execute, if possible? I do know permissions does not exist on NTFS) permissions. Can you help me ?

Thanks!
    Last edited by GameX2; April 28th, 2013 at 10:02 PM.