Thread: Several problems in Ubuntu 13.04

Beans

Several problems in Ubuntu 13.04

Hello there!

I have encountered a couple of problems since i started with Ubuntu 13.04 yesterday.

The first problem is that Spotify don't respond to my media keys. I have googled a bit but i don't know how to do half of it. I found this guide: http://kothar.net/blog/spotifydbus.html which people seems to like, but i don't know what to do with it. Lol. So if anybody could just write a very, very simple walkthrough, that would be perfect.

The second problem is that i would like to edit my top-right corner meny. For example remove my network-icon and Ubuntu One-icon to save space.

My third problem involves Truecrypt, which i have downloaded a .tar.gz file with a file inside. I have edited it so that it could run as a program, but when i click it, it opens in gedit or something.

My fourth problem is that my graphics card fan is running at high speed. I am using the x-org driver cause the AMD driver didn't work with my two screens at all. The card is two 5770 in crossfire.

My fifth question is how i can open the file browser in admin/sudo? Before i could just type "sudo nautilus".
    Last edited by Sunlight7; April 27th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Several problems in Ubuntu 13.04

My fifth question is how i can open the file browser in admin/sudo? Before i could just type "sudo nautilus".
    Did you not get an error message advising to run sudo apt-get install gksu?

When you have installed gksu then
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    will work. Apparently gksu is depreciated. It supposed to be replaced by something called pkexec (safer apparently) but it does not work on 64bit Ubuntu just yet.

I doubt very much that we can edit the notifications in the top panel. That is the design of Ubuntu that will go right through to Ubuntu mobile devices.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The second problem is that i would like to edit my top-right corner meny. For example remove my network-icon and Ubuntu One-icon to save space.
    There is some options in the dconf editor to hide some indicators an the nm applet is one of them. I have Gnome Classic/ Gnome shell installed so the one displayed may not apply to unity.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; April 27th, 2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Thanx!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

To make sure that all of your problems get answered, it is best to post each one in a separate thread with an appropriate title.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine