Thread: Is it possible to run 2 Linux systems from the same Image?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is it possible to run 2 Linux systems from the same Image?

I have a laptop with ubuntu set up just the way I like it, instead of repeating the process of installing and customizing ubuntu on a desktop can I just restore an image from a laptop onto a desktop? Thus running the same installation on different computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is it possible to run 2 Linux systems from the same Image?

All the settings specific to your account are in /home/wiking or whatever the username is. These include the changes you've made customizing specific applications which you have run. If you have more than one user on your system, you will have to copy the other users' files, too. There will be a few 'hidden' directories there, too, for some apps.

All the global configuration settings are in /etc You'll probably know if you messed with them. If you did, just copy the directory.

For both of these, I would recommend using tar. It's a very useful program in situations like this.

If you have added or removed a lot of programs from the base installation, that is easy to track, too. On the configured system you can make a list of what's changed:

Code:
    dpkg --get-selections > /home/wiking/packages.txt
    Then copy that file to your new system, load them in and have it deploy the changes:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo dpkg --set-selections < /home/wiking/packages.txt
    sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
    It should go rather easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Wiking View Post
    I have a laptop with ubuntu set up just the way I like it, instead of repeating the process of installing and customizing ubuntu on a desktop can I just restore an image from a laptop onto a desktop? Thus running the same installation on different computers.
    Not exactly answering your question because I have dis-similar systems, but I have successfully used Remastersys to back up and restore to a dvd both my laptop (32bit) and tower (64bit).
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So all I would need to do is get the list of packages, then install the list of packages using:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo dpkg --set-selections < /home/wiking/packages.txt
    sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
    And once all packages are installed I just need to copy paste the /etc folder and all applications will be the same configuration?

Does that include desktop settings as well?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

desktop settings.

All your desktop settings will be in your home directory /home/wiking/ also known as ~ In that directory you find all kinds of "hidden" files, those starting with dots, which will either be settings files or directories containing settings files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Wiking View Post
    I have don something but a little bit different.
    I took a Hard Disk out of a old Laptop and plug it in a (newer) desktop and boot Ubuntu up. It work fine. No errors, no need to change a configuration.
    So I think you can do.
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The issue can be proprietary drivers. Most often video as you may have one system on laptop and another on desktop. Also could be wireless but desktop may not even have that.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.