Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VirtualBox + graphics acceleration

Beans

Re: VirtualBox + graphics acceleration

look for nVidia X Server Settings app in Dash. Seeing as you've got an nVidia graphics card it should be there, I think, if your drivers are set up as they should be.

It will give you lots of information on OpenGL, X.org etc. See what you've got and see what you're missing. In my personal experience, nVidia 304 graphics work best, but try playing around with that if it works. Mind you, it is also my experience that Ubuntu 12.10 has the most issues with nVidia drivers. I find both 12.04 as well as the new 13.04 to be more stable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ARooster View Post
    look for nVidia X Server Settings app in Dash. Seeing as you've got an nVidia graphics card it should be there, I think, if your drivers are set up as they should be.

It will give you lots of information on OpenGL, X.org etc. See what you've got and see what you're missing. In my personal experience, nVidia 304 graphics work best, but try playing around with that if it works. Mind you, it is also my experience that Ubuntu 12.10 has the most issues with nVidia drivers. I find both 12.04 as well as the new 13.04 to be more stable.
    OK, there is something incorrect at me.
    I do not know what Dash is and searched some alternatives to detect my VGA. No useful found. This system a bit strange for me: every important settings made by program instead of me. That's why I cannot find settings in config files, else I do not understand these (because of large and unique generated files).

May I get help?
    Which files do we need?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by madnbri View Post
    Hello,
    I'm using 12.10 (wating minimum 1 week normally with system upgrade) and tried to install win 7 ultimate in VirtualBox.
    I couldn't set up my graphical acceleration in guest. I followed a lot of instructions from net, but nothing changed.
    There are many settings, so I do not insert everything here, please ask any You need.
    Here comes some:
    hardware: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5609249/
    VirtualBox settings: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5609275/
    Has anybody got idea?
    I hope this isn't off-topic, but have you considered Xen or kvm? The reason I'm asking is that in my experience (with Xen) this is about as good as dual-boot in terms of performance. The great disadvantages of using either Xen or kvm with VGA passthrough (that's the term for making the graphics card available to your guest machine) is that its success depends on the hardware, and you need a spare graphics card or GPU for your guest system.

When you get 3D acceleration under VirtualBox working, I would be curious to know how well it performs compared to native (i.e. Windows directly installed, running the vendor's graphics driver). A Unigine Heaven 3.0 benchmark would be nice, or the Passmark results. Here my Passmark results with a Windows 7 64bit Pro guest running on Xen: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...art=40#p702361.

Good luck with the 3D graphics acceleration!
    Pop!_OS 19.10 (Ubuntu 19.10) with a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit kvm guest using VGA passthrough

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12