Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't startup Skype

Beans

Re: Can't startup Skype

Quote Originally Posted by timgood View Post
    Recent Skype update has solved this problem.
    It's not true. Infact Ubuntu developers changed bash-script for "updated" Skype launching by adding to startup bash-script the following line:

Code:
    export LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1${LD_PRELOAD:+:}$LD_PRELOAD"
    This line just forces libGL.so.1 library load and no more. The update will have no effects for those users who use, for example, NVidia official drivers installed from *.run files from official NVidia web-site. Such a users met already (see above) the following problem:

Code:
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    There are two ways to solve this issue. First one is described by me above. It's rolling back to older version of libqtwebkit4 library. The second and more correct way is to force Skype to use libGL.so.1 library from libgl1-mesa-glx package. You can do this as described below.

Download libgl1-mesa-glx 9.1.1-0ubuntu3 32-bit package to your home directory:

Code:
    cd
    wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/137709980/libgl1-mesa-glx_9.1.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
    Unpack downloaded libgl1-mesa-glx_9.1.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb package to a new created directory:

Code:
    mkdir ~/mesa-skype
    dpkg -x libgl1-mesa-glx_9.1.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb ~/mesa-skype
    Create new directory mesa-skype inside /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/

Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa-skype
    Copy everything from ~/mesa-skype/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa to /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa-skype:

Code:
    sudo cp ~/mesa-skype/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/* /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa-skype/
    Edit bash-script /usr/bin/skype using your favorite text editor, for instance, nano:

Code:
    sudo nano /usr/bin/skype
    Change line from

Code:
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1${LD_PRELOAD:+:}$LD_PRELOAD
    to

Code:
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa-skype/libGL.so.1${LD_PRELOAD:+:}$LD_PRELOAD
    and save changes

That's all. Described changes force Skype to use libGL.so.1 library from libgl1-mesa-glx package and the issue will be resolved. At the same time this changes affect Skype only, but not NVidia or fglrx drivers.
    Last edited by melal; May 3rd, 2013 at 07:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by melal View Post
    It's not true. Infact Ubuntu developers changed bash-script for "updated" Skype launching by adding to startup bash-script the following line:

Code:
    export LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1${LD_PRELOAD:+:}$LD_PRELOAD"
    This line just forces libGL.so.1 library load and no more. The update will have no effects for those users who use, for example, NVidia official drivers installed from *.run files from official NVidia web-site. Such a users met already (see above) the following problem:

Code:
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    There are two ways to solve this issue. First one is described by me above. It's rolling back to older version of libqtwebkit4 library. The second and more correct way is to force Skype to use libGL.so.1 library from libgl1-mesa-glx package. You can do this as described below.

Code:
    cd
    wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/137709980/libgl1-mesa-glx_9.1.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
    Unpack downloaded libgl1-mesa-glx_9.1.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb package to a new created directory:

Code:
    mkdir ~/mesa-skype

Code:
    Copy everything from ~/mesa-skype/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa to /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa-skype:

Code:
    sudo cp ~/mesa-skype/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/* /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa-skype/
    Edit bash-script /usr/bin/skype using your favorite text editor, for instance, nano:

Code:
    sudo nano /usr/bin/skype
    Change line from

Code:
    to

Code:
    and save changes

That's all. Described changes force Skype to use libGL.so.1 library from libgl1-mesa-glx package and the issue will be resolved. At the same time this changes affect Skype only, but not NVidia or fglrx drivers.

OH YEAH BABY IT WORKED!!!! a THOUSAND THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!11

Beans

Code:

Code:

Code:
    cd

Code:
    mkdir ~/mesa-skype

Code:

Code:

Code:
    sudo nano /usr/bin/skype
    Change line from

Code:
    to

Code:
    and save changes

This worked. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thx melal.
    Last edited by Shrek01; May 4th, 2013 at 01:24 AM.

Beans

The reason of your problem is current version of libqtwebkit4 library. Just rollback to older version 2.2.1-4ubuntu1 of libqtwebkit4.

for 64-bit system:
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/112036076/libqtwebkit4_2.2.1-4ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i libqtwebkit4_2.2.1-4ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    for 32-bit system:
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/112036044/libqtwebkit4_2.2.1-4ubuntu1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i libqtwebkit4_2.2.1-4ubuntu1_i386.deb
    After installation your problem will be resolved.

This solution works for me (Ubuntu 13.04, 32 bit, proprietary nvidia driver)!!!
    Thank you very much!

Beans

seen from others
    type in terminal
    Code:
    sudo -s
    mv /usr/bin/skype /usr/bin/skype-bin
    gedit /usr/bin/skype
    copy the following code to gedit
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1
    exec skype-bin
    save and run in terminal
    Code:
    chmod 0755 /usr/bin/skype
    just for 64 bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovebluesky2009 View Post
    seen from others
    type in terminal
    Code:
    sudo -s
    mv /usr/bin/skype /usr/bin/skype-bin
    gedit /usr/bin/skype
    copy the following code to gedit
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1
    exec skype-bin
    save and run in terminal
    Code:
    chmod 0755 /usr/bin/skype
    just for 64 bit
    1. Nobody needs to do this as this fix is part of official skype deb-package from ubuntu repositories since latest update. Just install or update skype from official ubuntu repos.
    2. This fix doesn't work at those users who installed proprietary nvidia or amd drivers from *.run files from official NVidia and AMD web-sites. Such a users can fix problem using described above method: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post12631036

Beans

+1 for Melal, worked great for me too! Using AMD propriety drivers 13.4 on ubuntu 13.04 x86_64 (amd64)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Doesn't work on Ubuntu 13.10. Still broken.

Beans

lovebluesky2009 wrote about a several steps for the skype error.

I did the steps to change the library and now The Ubuntu Software Center throws me an error of library incompability and can't install anything untill the depends were resolved.

How can I roll back the last changes?

Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/112036076/libqtwebkit4_2.2.1-4ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i libqtwebkit4_2.2.1-4ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    I run the Ubuntu Software Center and throws an error and ask me for repair, at least the repair fails and throws

Code:
    (Reading database ... 222134 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace libqtwebkit4:amd64 2.2.1-4ubuntu1 (using .../libqtwebkit4_2.3.0-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libqtwebkit4:amd64 ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libqtwebkit4_2.3.0-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb (--unpack):
     trying to overwrite shared '/usr/share/doc/libqtwebkit4/copyright', which is different from other instances of package libqtwebkit4:amd64
    No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/libqtwebkit4_2.3.0-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
    Error in function: 
    dpkg: error processing libqtwebkit4:amd64 (--configure):
     package libqtwebkit4:amd64 2.2.1-4ubuntu1 cannot be configured because libqtwebkit4:i386 is at a different version (2.3.0-0ubuntu2)
    dpkg: error processing libqtwebkit4:i386 (--configure):
     package libqtwebkit4:i386 2.3.0-0ubuntu2 cannot be configured because libqtwebkit4:amd64 is at a different version (2.2.1-4ubuntu1)
    Some body can help me please?
    Last edited by carlosalvet; May 18th, 2013 at 03:29 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast