Thread: How can I downgrade Nautilus 3.6 ??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How can I downgrade Nautilus 3.6 ??

Hi,

I've just installed Raring, keeping an installation of Precise.
    There's still a few stuff I have to fix. The most important would be to downgrade Nautilus. There are *a few* interesting new stuff (Well, pretty much just the fact that there are icons in the "New" menu. XD), but I can't stand the rest. It searche everytime I type, slowing me.

How can I downgrade to Nautilus 3.4 (Precise) ?

I've read many sites, I haven't found a working solution on Quantal/Raring.
    I've also tried to do it myself, and made things worse:

Download the Nautilus 3.4 Package from Ubuntu website. Wiped Nautilus 3.6 from Synaptic. Then when I launched the Nautilus 3.4 DEB, I have a dependency error. So I gave it a shot anyway (That was a risk. I was ready to reinstall Raring, and have a backup of Precise), and uninstalled this dependency (Which was also uninstalled Evolution, EyeOfGnome, Unity, Gnome-Shell... :S). Then installed the older version of the dependency. Tried to install Nautilus 3.4 from the DEB again, but another dependency error.

Allright. How I am suppose to this, then? That's way above my competences.

I've fixed Unity by simply reinstalled everything that was deleted (I've noted them, at least).

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How can I downgrade Nautilus 3.6 ??

no way to downgrade (its the new gnome design now; i know its frustating at first glance)
    note that gnome 3.8 is even better, so why not jumping with raring (13.04) ? or install the gnome3-team ppa on Precise to get the 3.8 version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Or install the Mint teams Nemo file browser, its a fork of nautilus before it went..... lets use the word, controversial. see the following link for a simple install guide http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/how-t...anager-in.html
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When I've read your messages, that was originally frustrating. This is unusable, with the automatic search! Oo

What was driving me away from any other file manager, is because I really like the Nautilus-Scripts. I just found that my scripts are compatible with Nemo as well (Haven't got any problem, yet). Just need to put the scripts in .nemo-scripts. I already knew about Nemo, but I always thought my scripts were only for Nautilus.

Fiew, guess I was about to return to Precise. I'm switching to Nemo.
    Now, if only I could get the experimental Compiz plugins to work under Raring. I know Compiz was dropped ( :'( ), but some of these are really useful for windows management.
    I will probably return to Precise if I can't get the plugins to work. Compiz is a must for me (Highly unstable sure, but powerful), and one of the thing that is exclusive to Ubuntu - everytime I test a new distribution, it's cool (Especially Mint. 2nd favorite), but it does not have Compiz.

Thank you.
    Last edited by GameX2; April 27th, 2013 at 06:00 PM.