Thread: Might want to skip current updates!

Beans

Might want to skip current updates!

I installed the 13.04 Xubuntu beta2 and Ubuntu Studio beta2 and both were working well until I allowed the automatic updates yesterday. Now both crash back into the login screen if I do much of anything

Updates to the beta had been making small improvements, until yesterday morning (Xubuntu) and last night (Studio) updates.

I've sent crash reports until I got tired of sending them

Two very different systems, one AMD 8-core with Nvidia GT-650 card running Nouveau, the other dual core Intel with Nvidia drivers as automatically installed by the installer (Studio)
    Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerence for others doing things you disapprove.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Might want to skip current updates!

maybe check the /etc/apt/sources.list validity
    and watch the logs to know what is wrong, an app might have a huge issue

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    maybe check the /etc/apt/sources.list validity
    Any problems here came from the installer initially or an update, so how can I have any idea on what to check?

and watch the logs to know what is wrong, an app might have a huge issue
    As far as I can tell just about any app will cause the crash, even launching xfce terminal.
    Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerence for others doing things you disapprove.

Beans

Going into "Settings"->"Session and Startup" choosing "Advanced" tab and unchecking "Launch GNOME services on startup" so far seems to have stopped the crashing back to the login screen.

Why are these GNOME and KDE service options there? What is the installer's default? Would installing other software change it? I know I didn't mess with it until I stumbled on to it while trying to permute options in an attempt to get back to the working system I had before Friday's "updates" broke it. Right now, neither option is checked and the system seems to be working fine -- at least its not crashing.

This was on Ubuntu Studio, I'll try the straight Xubuntu system when I get back tomorrow.