Thread: Tethering Droid Razor Phone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Tethering Droid Razor Phone

Can anyone direct me to a forum that will help me tether my Droid Smartphone. I think I may have to root my phone to enable this feature.

Apparently none of the mobile phone service will allow tethering to an unlocked phone. I purchased mine that way from China.

Thanks Hannibal
    I love it when a plan comes together. It keeps me "on the jazz."

Ubuntu Quantum 31.10.03 & Windows 10000 on Dell Inspiron 55200 Infinite-Core
    dual-boot system. 'Kill Bill XIV!'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Tethering Droid Razor Phone

Typically yes you need to root your phone to be able to tether. There is one (free) option called azilink that works without rooting the phone though. The rest I am aware of all require you to pay for them. There is a great wrapper script for installing everything which you can read about and obtain here:

http://www.humans-enabled.com/2009/1...-droid-as.html

Pay particular attention to the very first paragraph on the page which has the link to his install script and the readme:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3...ther-SV-README
    If all else fails, use fire.

Beans

Get Easytether at www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/android.html it is a non-root tether program that works with ubuntu. They have a free version or you can get all features for a one time fee. I am usuing right now and it works great.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Hannibal

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Something to consider is whether or not you can mount your Android phone as a USB drive. If you can, great! If your Android version is newer than 4.0.3, and if your computer hardware is capable, one of the improvements to Ubuntu 13.04 is the ability to mount the file system of the newer Android phones, which the older versions of Ubuntu cannot do by default (takes a work-around). I'm using azilink on my Android phones that have the older file system.

Just in case:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/h...or-file-access
    Last edited by MoebusNet; April 30th, 2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: just in case
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Tethering Droid Razor Phone

Hello,

I've tried all your suggestions and nothing has worked. I've also tried at least six tethering apps, some requiring root, some not. I did however manage to root my phone.

BTW, my phone is Actually a Motorolla Atrix 4G, not a Razor like I originally thought. I purchased 'NET 10" service from Best Buy Mobile; and the salesman told me that most of the cell carriers have found a way to block WiFi tethering and suggested finding an app that will tether on Bluetooth.

Anyway, I'm at a loss for what to do next. Does anyone know of some tethering apps that are easy to install and will probably work on my phone and with Ubuntu?

Thanks Hannibal