Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded 12.10 to 13.04 and system is not working after login

Beans

Upgraded 12.10 to 13.04 and system is not working after login

I upgraded to 13.04 from 12.10 yesterday--far too excited to remember to test with a live CD. So... everything looks fine up to the login screen, and then I log in. The system is "unresponsive". By that I mean I can see a gray (empty) panel along the top, a unity launcher on the left, and a desktop. The mouse moves. Right clicking, clicking and keyboard shortcuts do nothing. The unity launcher shows no animation with mouseover. Since nothing seems to be responsive, I'm not sure how I would access a terminal. There are no other system users to try out or other DMs installed for me to try logging into, so I can't simply go in with those.

An odd thing (and probably good) is that I CAN use sysreq reisub to reboot. I can log on as a guest as well, and there are no issues on "guest" except for my resolution maxing out lower than before I upgraded (1920:1080, which I swear is lower than it was before upgrade, but not 100% certain). I looked at a lot of other threads and most of them require you to troubleshoot with sudo privledges. Since I can only log on as a guest, I really don't know what to do besides "unity support test" and "lspci"... which I'll post below:

/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev c4)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev c4)
    00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 7 (rev c4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
    04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (rev c4)
    lspci
    Code:
    OpenGL vendor string:   Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Desktop 
    OpenGL version string:  3.0 Mesa 9.1.1

Not software rendered:    yes
    Not blacklisted:          yes
    GLX fbconfig:             yes
    GLX texture from pixmap:  yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program:        yes
    GL fragment program:      yes
    GL vertex buffer object:  yes
    GL framebuffer object:    yes
    GL version is 1.4+:       yes

Unity 3D supported:       yes
    I really need the files in my (encrypted) home folder on my user account for my new job, and for what it's worth... my Minecraft server is installed there too. So I appreciate any help and I will stand by to do whatever you say. (stretches fingers in front of keyboard)

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Upgraded 12.10 to 13.04 and system is not working after login

Looks like a compiz crash; inside a terminal:

dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
    compiz --replace ccp &
    setsid unity

but you also can login with gnome (shell) which have a closed unity look & feel, and has less issue.
    Last edited by dino99; April 27th, 2013 at 03:01 PM.

Beans

Thanks dino99. However, I cannot open a terminal since keyboard shortcuts are not doing anything, and I can't su from a terminal on guest since guest doens't have privledges.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to General Help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

[Ctrl]+[Alt]+F2
    you can login to a tty and run the 1st command
    then run startx and hope it works

this will add a terminal session as a alternative to unity, it may be of use to you
    Code:
    sudo sh -c 'echo "[Desktop Entry]\nVersion=1.0\nName=Terminal\nGenericName=Terminal Emulator\nExec=gnome-terminal --fullscreen\nIcon=utilities-terminal\nTerminal=false\nType=Application\nCategories=GTK;System;TerminalEmulator;Utility;\nStartupNotify=true" > /usr/share/xsessions/gnome-terminal.desktop'
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro

Emm, tricky.

Ctrl+Alt+T = not work
    Ctrl+Alt+F2 = not work
    Right click wallpaper + Change Desktop Background = not work. Pity. It opens System Settings and gives access to Software & Updates>Additional Drvier tab where we can change video drivers.
    Recovery Mode>Resume = no work? That sometimes gets us to a desktop.
    Recovery Mode>Failsafex = no work?

I am guessing that the issue is video driver. On that basis if the other methods are not working I suggest editing the boot parameters to include nomodeset.

At the Grub menu select Ubuntu and press E. Grub is now is Edit Mode. Look for the line that says:
    initrd.lz quiet splash
    and insert nomodeset as in
    initrd.lz nomodeset quiet splash
    Press F10 to boot. See if that will get you to a desktop that will let you open additional drivers and change the video driver, and then open a terminal to reset unity or compiz. Oh, you could also try unplugging the keyboard and plugging back in. Might reset something regarding the keyboard. Desperate solutions sometimes work.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; April 27th, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

The compiz reset command said "error spawning command line... reset a key or dir. -f is required for dirs" I would type out the whole thing, but I'm on a Kindle Fire to post here.

I tried all your stuff on one line in case it was on command that th forum split across lines. This time it gave the error and a warning that no display variable is set so it set it to :0. I ran startx and my screen is now just black... reboot and entry via Gui... it loads as originally (unresponsive except mouse) though my secondary monitor is pink. Odd...

Beans

Grah~ I went to the terminal from the logon screen and simply logged in without a DM, so that part works. I don't use GRUB btw or don't know how to get there because I don't have another OS.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

with a single OS installed, to get the grub menu, hold "shift" key down at bios end process; then you can choose the "recovery mode", activate the network, and run the commands given prior (each line given was a unique command)

Beans

Oh, I found an article that says Unity no longer uses dconf. Is that an issue with the command? Going to Grub like you said... will report.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast