Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13.04 is extremely slow

Beans

Re: 13.04 is extremely slow

Well, since Ubuntu 12.04.2 still has Unity 2D, I've decided to try it... There are no speed problems, works fast.

But guess what... I've had a perfect view doing live session and now when I've installed this... The screen brightness is so low, that I can barely read your posts

And increasing brightness to 100% is not working at all. The screen is dark as hell
    Proud Slackware Current user
    /Kernel 2.6.29.6; KDE 4.2.4; XOrg 1.6.3/
    Once you got Slack, you never turn back

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you had asked for help instead of ranting, somebody would have advised you to install your graphics driver.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    If you had asked for help instead of ranting, somebody would have advised you to install your graphics driver.
    What kind of driver should I install for Intel 3600?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    PS Your kernel is a little dated for -current:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros~$ uname -r
    so is yours, 3.8.9 is out
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Actually the slowness seems to be normal on initial boot on most Ubuntu installs I have done.
    Once the first boot gets done its fine, second boot onwards is usually much smoother.
    Did you try that?
    In the end it may be your graphics card, intels can be flaky.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by victorche View Post
    Well, long time since I was here... But inspired by the good reviews about the latest Ubuntu, decided to try it... What can I say?!

This is not the Microsoft's killer and it will not rule the desktop market soon... On a fresh install my Packard Bell Dot S netbook is simply unusable. After the Unity is loaded, it takes 3-4 secs just to display "Firefox" label on hover. I've never seen so slow OS, really!

So I've started reading, searching in Google... Many topics suggest to install "gnome-session-fallback" or something. I've installed this and now I have a gnome-like desktop without even a simple transparency.

Well, "great" work, Canonical! You're ready to win the world market with this "ultra fast" OS. It takes 1-2 mins to start "Software Centre" on my 6 months old netbook with 2 GB of RAM. Next time I'll buy a netbook with 8 GB RAM... I hope it will be enough for your "optimized" Unity...
    I too installed Ubuntu with great expectations, but my pc experience since Commodores has trained me to look for alternatives. I decided to stick with Ubuntu - the solution to the sluggishness on my 'Columbus' Dell laptop was to install gnome session fallback and using no effects. This installation has enabled me to use all the user friendly aspects with none of the lag you described!

There are other 'user friendly' distributions that you might consider. I'm in the testing and evaluation phase of Linux Mint 14 on this laptop. There was not quite as much lag using native Cinnamon, but the lack of responsivness still bothered me so I boot it with classic gnome no effects. Linux Mint 14 is based on Ubuntu, there's another Mint available from Debian.

Thanks for the rant and the opportunity to positively respond so other newcomers might have a more balanced view!
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    so is yours, 3.8.9 is out
    Actually 3.8.10 is out now . My point was however that the Slackware -current stock kernel is 3.8.8....
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

true, but i was referring to the ubuntu mainline
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

OIC. Have a look at the OP's sig:

This is where I was referring to
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

victorche
    Thanks but I don't think this is a "Linux in general" chat and talk... This is Ubuntu specific (I am talking about 13.04 here). And I've choosen the "General Help" section, as I am asking for some kind of help here...
    No where in your OP did you make a support request, all you did was rant.

I'm always amazed when users come here to complain about a new release, after failing to test said release. Just expecting their system to be fully compatible and functional with a new version. Why not try Xubuntu 13.04, I'm testing it on a Zareason mini with a dual core Intel processor (1.1gig) and 2 gigs of ram. It is a little slower than Xubuntu 12.04, but still quite snappy and after removing all the unnecessary notifications, etc. the performance did improved. Still not to the level of 12.04.

I don't recall reading anywhere that Canonical was trying to produce a Windows killer OS. I see all of Linux as a choice, should one be dissatisfied with a distro or version - there's certainly plenty of others to choose from. I'll never understand why a user would install a new version without testing and just assume their system (perhaps not even purchased specifically for Linux) will support the new release. Or, that the new release will meet their needs/expectations beyond what others report. I do find the ongoing excuses (especially regarding video) annoying after reading them for years. ATI, NVIDA, INTEL all at some point since my joining the forums, have been associated here with poor performance. I seriously doubt making excuses will improve a user's frustration and IMHO it only serves to impart failure.

If you truly wish to request support, I suggest you start a thread in the appropriate help section specifically for that purpose. One suggestion I'd make, is not to rant in a support request - but rather just note the issue. It's been my experience that the volunteers helping in those sections don't really wish to waste time reading a rant.

Just my $0.02
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast