Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build Matplotlib 1.2.1 on Python 3.2, can't find Python.h?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Question Build Matplotlib 1.2.1 on Python 3.2, can't find Python.h?

I've gotten out a bit ahead of the standard repositories. I want to use Matplotlib with Python 3, and that means that I need Matplotlib 1.2.1.

I've done manual builds before. In fact, I did a manual build of Matplotlib 1.0 about two years ago, when it was new. I always get error messages when I'm doing manual builds. I do a little Internet searching, and deduce which package contains the file that the error message says is missing. (Is there a better way? You can't use apt-get build-dep unless you have an apt repository, right?).

Anyway, I got an error message after executing python setup.py build in the maplotlib 1.2.1 directory. Just the tail end is shown:

Code:
    [...]
    gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -fPIC -DPY_ARRAY_UNIQUE_SYMBOL=MPL_ARRAY_API -DPYCXX_ISO_CPP_LIB=1 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/numpy/core/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -I. -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/numpy/core/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I./freetype2 -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c src/ft2font.cpp -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/src/ft2font.o
    In file included from ./CXX/Extensions.hxx:37:0,
                     from src/ft2font.h:6,
                     from src/ft2font.cpp:3:
    ./CXX/WrapPython.h:58:20: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
    I actually remembered this error message from a few years back, and knew that I needed the python-dev package. More specifically, I now need python3-dev. So I downloaded it, and tried my build again. The error message did not change.

Next I tried sudo find / -name "Python.h". I do indeed have a file named Python.h, in the directory /usr/include/python3.2mu/. So, why isn't gcc seeing it?

What is the python3.2mu directory anyway? Why isn't the directory simply python3.2? Do I need to add this python3.2mu directory manually to some search path?

Puzzled...

Beans
    Distro

Re: Build Matplotlib 1.2.1 on Python 3.2, can't find Python.h?

Quick followup:

Quote Originally Posted by ladasky View Post
    (Is there a better way? You can't use apt-get build-dep unless you have an apt repository, right?).
    Just to see what I would get, I tried executing sudo apt-get build-dep python-matplotlib. I was prompted with a list of dozens of dependencies. But I could see that they were all the dependencies needed by Python 2.x -- which is just what you would expect from the python-matplotlib repository. It contains Matplotlib 1.1.1, which only supports Python 2.x. I aborted before I actually installed any packages.

Beans
    Hidden!

Check your default python version:
    Code:
    python -V
    If it's 2.7, you probably need to build it with
    Code:
    python3 setup.py build

iMac71 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

(not strictly connected to your issue, but anyway somewhat helpful for it) you might create an alias as follows:
    1. open a Terminal window and type (or copy & paste) into it
      Code:
      alias python='/usr/bin/python3.2' >> .bash_aliases
    2. close the Terminal window and reopen it

now you should have python3 as default python, hence you should be able to install matplotlib without problems by typing
    Code:
    python setup.py build
    in a Terminal window.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you schragge and iMac71, the problem was that Python 3.2 is not the default Python in Ubuntu (yet?), at least not as of version 12.04.1.

I changed my .bash_aliases file as suggested, and then proceeded beyond my error message. I still had a few more packages to install, but I eventually finished the build without error messages.

For the record: the packages missing from the default installation of Ubuntu 12.04.1 which appear to be needed to install Matplotlib are not spelled out as explicitly in the Matplotlib docs as one would hope. No mention is made of needing g++. (Is g++ packaged with gcc in other Linux installations?) The docs tell you that you need Python (of course), numpy, libpng, and freetype. What the docs do not say is that the necessary header files for the build process are in the *-dev packages, not in the base packages.

Now, when I followed up with a sudo python setup.py install, I got an error message indicating a failure to find Python.h all over again! But I could see from the log that Python 2.7 was being called. So I tried sudo python3 setup.py install, and that worked.

This may just be a one-time issue, but it has now got me wondering whether I should also make Python 3 the default for root as well. I don't know whether that would cause problems. If making Python 3 the default for root is a good idea, I'm not sure where I would find root's .bash_aliases file...

iMac71 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ladasky View Post
    I'm not sure where I would find root's .bash_aliases file...
    to use your ~/.bash_aliases as root, add the following lines to your /root/.bashrc
    Code:
    if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
        . ~/.bash_aliases
    fi
    if [ -f $HOME/.bash_aliases ]; then
        . $HOME/.bash_aliases
    fi
    tip found here: http://7enn.com/2011/02/20/how-to-ma...oot-in-ubuntu/
    I only changed /home/[YOUR USER NAME] with $HOME in lines 4 & 5 of the original code.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by iMac71 View Post
    I only changed /home/[YOUR USER NAME] with $HOME in lines 4 & 5 of the original code.
    You shouldn't have changed it. Original code sourced /home/regular_user_name/.bash_aliases if it existed. You code just sources /root/.bash_aliases twice. Also note that by default /root/.bashrc only gets executed for interactive shell sessions, i.e. sudo su / sudo -s. On Ubuntu, .bashrc also gets sourced from .profile, but since you don't login as root, /root/.profile usually don't get executed either. It gets executed when you sudo su - / sudo -i however, as these commands emulate logging in as root.

This means the OP will need either sudo python3 or sudo -i python anyway, and rightly so. Permanently changing the default python interpreter (e.g. using update-alternatives) is a bad idea IMHO. There are many system python scripts and they obviously get tested only with python 2.7 which is still default on Ubuntu 12.04.
    Last edited by schragge; April 18th, 2013 at 03:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by schragge View Post
    Permanently changing the default python interpreter (e.g. using update-alternatives) is a bad idea IMHO. There are many system python scripts and they obviously get tested only with python 2.7 which is still default on Ubuntu 12.04.
    Yes, I had this concern myself. And I did not change the default Python for root for that reason.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

the problem is most likely just a missing python3-dev
    you don't get that from apt-get build-dep because the 12.04 package has no python3 support (it has in 13.04)

apt-get install python3-tk python3-dev python3-numpy libfreetype6-dev libpng12-dev tk8.5-dev
    should be sufficient to build matplotlib 1.2.1 on 12.04, you may need more depending on which backends you want
    add python3-pyqt4 for a qt backend

there is also a ppa that should work fine:
    https://launchpad.net/~takluyver/+archive/python3
    Last edited by MadCow108; April 29th, 2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added tk8.5-dev and python3-pyqt4

Beans
    Distro

MadCow108, thanks for your reply. I actually got Matplotlib 1.2.1 to build on top of on Python 3.

Unfortunately, the only backend that I have succeeded to get working is the Agg backend. I can write PNG files to disk, but I can't display live graphs from a Python application. I've taken this issue to the Matplotlib mailing list, but I'll share a summary here.

Back when I was programming in Python 2.7, I was using the WxAgg backend, and I didn't even know that I was. I had installed wxPython, and when I built Matplotlib, it automatically built the WxAgg backend for me. Unfortunately, wxPython is NOT yet Python3 compatible. I thought I would try the GTKAgg backend, but I wasn't able to get wxGTK for Python 3 installed.

I am contemplating upgrading to Ubuntu 13.04, in hope that some of these issues are resolved by newer repositories.
    Last edited by ladasky; April 29th, 2013 at 06:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast