Thread: Is it possible to create a launcher inside a folder in Gnome 2?

Beans

Is it possible to create a launcher inside a folder in Gnome 2?

Hi,

Is it possible to create a launcher, inside a folder, in Gnome 2?

When I create a symbolik link and then click on it, Nautilus will show the path of the symlink below the toolbar. But, that's NOT what I want.
    I want to click on it and then Nautilus show me the path of the original folder below that same tool bar.

I think it's sort of M$ Windows shortcuts.
    After googling a bit, I've seen somewhere that it's possible to create launchers inside folders using nautilus, but I've don't see that when I right-click inside a folder using Nautilus.

I don't want to start a discussion about the pros and cons of symlinks, shortcuts or even hardlinks, that everything on linux is a file, etc.
    I just want to know if it is possible or not.

Can anybody shed some light on this, please?
    Before we wish or believe in something, we must know that that something exists and is real

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is it possible to create a launcher inside a folder in Gnome 2?

Do you mean a launcher or a link? Your post really isn't very clear about what exactly you're trying to achieve. A launcher is just a .desktop file, a text file with a formal structure. You can put them wherever you like.

You can create a launcher to open Nautilus at a particular path if you want.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Hidden!

There will be a .desktop fille for almost every application on your machine already residing in /usr/share/applications and you can copy any of those to anywhere else you would like to.

Nautilus does not help in this very much as it calls .desktop files according to the name set in the text, eg nautilus.desktop may be seen in nautilus as File-manager or just Files but if you use terminal with ls /usr/share/applications the proper file name will show and you can then copy with the cp command.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If it's Gnome 2 you can drag-and-drop from menus and the panel, too.

Beans

thanks for the replies

what I'm trying to achieve is this, imagine folders:
    /home/Bob/music/ (this is the "original" folder)
    /home/Bob/data/mp3/ (this is the launcher/link/whatever you name it)

when I open folder /home/Bob/music/ I can see in Nautilus toolbar it's path (/home/Bob/music/)

what I want is to open the "launcher/link/whatever you name it" /home/Bob/data/mp3/ so Nautilus send me to /home/Bob/music/ and show it's path (/home/Bob/music/)

I know how to do it in the panel and in the Desktop (create launcher, location)
    but I don't know how to do it inside a folder

meanwhile, I'm just creating launchers on the Desktop, then cut and paste inside the folder in question
    I wish the option to create launchers existed when I right-click inside a folder using Nautilus

by the way, I'm still on ubuntu 10.04
    i believe that that is already possible in latter versions
    Before we wish or believe in something, we must know that that something exists and is real

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry, but now you have completely lost me!

Even after your detailed description, I still don't understand what you are trying to do, nor why.

Is the folder /home/Bob/music/ just a link to folder /home/Bob/data/mp3/ or is that the wrong way round? Where are the actual music files sitting, or have I still not grasped your problem?
    Last edited by ajgreeny; April 27th, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Sorry, but now you have completely lost me!

Even after your detailed description, I still don't understand what you are trying to do, nor why.

Is the folder /home/Bob/music/ just a link to folder /home/Bob/data/mp3/ or is that the wrong way round? Where are the actual music files sitting, or have I still not grasped your problem?
    thanks for keeping up with this

ok, let's see if now I can explain better

the actual files are in folder /home/Bob/music/

my goal is, using Nautilus, clicking on folder /home/Bob/data/mp3/ and having /home/Bob/music/ opened AND Nautilus showing me the path to /home/Bob/music/ (this last part is the problem, because if I use a symlink Nautilus will show me the path to the the symlink [/home/Bob/data/mp3/] when I wanted to see the path for the target folder instead [/home/Bob/music/]

If you try it, you'll see

just like I said above, meanwhile I'm just creating launchers on the Desktop
    then cut and paste inside the folder in question

but this has one big advantage, which is to get the launcher icon listed in the files group and not in the folders group (which the very handy symlinks don't)

another way of explaining this is:
    I want to have some folder "A"
    and several icons/symlinks/launchers/"whatever is the correct name here" spread across the filesystem that when clicked on (using Nautilus) they all open folder "A"
    AND Nautilus shows me the path to folder "A" in it's path toolbar
    AND icons/symlinks/launchers/"whatever is the correct name here" get listed like normal folders by Nautilus

symlinks do all of this, except that Nautilus shows the path to them (and NOT to the target folder they point to)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Why not just bookmark any folders that you're interested in? That way it'll show up in the Places menu and the sidebar wherever you are in the filesystem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Why not just bookmark any folders that you're interested in? That way it'll show up in the Places menu and the sidebar wherever you are in the filesystem.
    can't do that because they are too many
    I've got a personal method of organizing my files and folders which is a litle bit uncommon