Thread: No network devices available

Beans

No network devices available

Hi there
    I have a new laptop and I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    Everyting seems OK apart from the fact that I cannot connect to the internet. When I click in the network manager icon in the top panel I don't see any network even though enable networking is ticked. I cannot even connect with the wire directly to the router. I checked this forum looking for a post of someone with the same problem but I couldn find it. Could someone help me please?
    Thanks a lot

Beans

Re: No network devices available

I would check the following first...especially since it is a new laptop:
    Is there a button to enable/disable networking?
    Can you ping your loopback address ok?
    Did you try the cable on another machine to make sure it is not flawed in some way?

Beans

Hi kdawg3, and thanks for answering.
    The laptop came with windows 8 and I connected to the internet without problem. It's only now that I have this problem. I have tried the cable with my old laptop and it works. I even tried installing windows xp -I still have the disk that came with my old laptop- but when I reboot it it does not start the installation of windows, it goes straight to Ubuntu. I dont know what to do.
    Thanks again

Beans

I even downloaded ubuntu 13.04 with my old laptop, copied it into a CD, put it in the new one and restarted it but it does not react to it, I even tried with the Windows XP of my old laptop and the same, it ignores it and opens Ubuntu.