Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Any chance of a Ubuntu MATE remix coming out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Any chance of a Ubuntu MATE remix coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Well "every applications I wanted to run" is quite subjective... not a good gauge for the capability of a platform.
    I'm not aware of any accepted non-subjective standard of measure of software obsolescence, or innovation. If it meets the needs of the user, it certainly can't be considered obsolete from the user's point of view, which is the only point of view that counts.

I ran CentOS 6.2/3/4 with, as I said, the current versions of every application that was of interest to me. They are, in fact, the same versions of the same applications I use on any distribution.

BTW, other than the use of Yum and RPM's, CentOS didn't strike me as being much at all like recent version of Fedora. CentOS 6, I believe, was based on Fedora 12, but it's at release 18 currently.

To me, "obsolete" equates with "doesn't work" and "can't work". It doesn't mean "doesn't have a bunch of features newer products have". Example: KDE offers an abundance of features and built-in applications. Some folks welcome all that, but from my perspective KDE is primarily a collections of capabilities I don't have any reason to use. So, from my perspective, KDE is irrelevant, which seems to me a worse curse than being obsolete.

Beans

I would say just tweak xfce to look like gnome2
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Kind of off topic - but I'm currently using KDE version 4.10.2 --- it's like butter. This is coming from a former KDE hater -- god how did I hate KDE!!! But the tables have almost turned 180 degrees. I can't say I despise Gnome3 with such passion, but I really don't like it at all!! Anyone who hasn't taken a look at KDE for a while, I'd recommend at least giving it another look. I'm hooked -- for now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If Nautilus is an indication of where Gnome3 is going, I'll stick with Mate and Gnome2.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

^I will too.

Gnome 3 is pathetic, and I only use it as backup if Razer-Qt doesn't work.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since, rather typically, most answers here, including mine, don't address the OP's question, I'll take a stab at it: Nothing prevents a group of people from creating an independent MATE spin of Ubuntu. Will Canonical do that? No. they have no reason to do that, particularly because they've moved to consolidating Unity to run on multiple devices. Could an independent spin become an "offical" spin, like Ubuntu Gnome recently did? Sure, it's possible. I'm not sure what advantages, though, that would bring to users.

Meanwhile, installing MATE on Ubuntu is relatively simple. Someone who is bothered by the notion of Unity, etc., residing on the same drive as MATE can do a minimal install and then add MATE.

Beans

^It's not necessarily against Unity when people run MATE. It simply makes sense on a 2010 PC to run a 2010 DE. Unity makes it work too hard and it becomes too noisy to enjoy. Otherwise, Unity is my favorite of the DEs.

The only advantage would be the ability to access the paid apps of the Ubuntu software center, which I believe Mint can't do for legal reasons. If you don't want paid apps, an Ubuntu MATE version would give you nothing that Linux Mint MATE doesn't already have.
    Last edited by iamkuriouspurpleoranj; April 30th, 2013 at 04:30 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Kind of off topic - but I'm currently using KDE version 4.10.2 --- it's like butter. This is coming from a former KDE hater -- god how did I hate KDE!!! But the tables have almost turned 180 degrees. I can't say I despise Gnome3 with such passion, but I really don't like it at all!! Anyone who hasn't taken a look at KDE for a while, I'd recommend at least giving it another look. I'm hooked -- for now
    You overlooked Cinnamon - its a fork of GNOME 3 but its GNOME 3 done right - and it looks the way GNOME 3 should have looked had GNOME developers not gone in a new direction. Its a sane desktop environment. Even if you despise GNOME Shell, its still worth checking out and Linux Mint has done a superb job of making a GNOME 2 style operating system run on top of the GNOME 3 technologies.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I haven't followed Mate development, but, has it been completely rewritten to no longer use the unmaintained gtk2 libraries?
    Interestingly, I spent a few hours looking at MATE's Home Deskop-Wiki and talking to people on #mate IRC today. MATE version 1.6, was released April 02, 2013.

Version 1.8 continues under heavy development
    , and is to have GTK2 and GTK3 functionality, so each distro can choose, which libraries it wants to use and will support the Wayland display server. It has a busy forum.

It can be installed as a desktop environment on Ubuntu, instead of Unity for 12.04 with 32-bit from Sourceforge, or can be installed from this page by adding one of these repositories, to your Ubuntu version's /etc/apt/sources.list and updating and installing.

All in all, it seems to be a growing project with a vibrant community. Here is a list of Distro's providing MATE, with a link to installing, to many other distro's.

Oh, I forgot to include a video from July 20, 2013 on MATE's Development, from Stefano Karapetsas in Greece, at the openSUSE conference.

Caveat: To the question posed by cariboo907, there is this outstanding Debian Bug when Debian was requested to include MATE, where one person indicated that MATE, remains to have obsolete technologies, that I don't know if is accurate, now. I believe MATE has not been included into Debian Proper, as of yet.

Will I install MATE, as a primary DE? Not likely, but the project intrigues me enough, to have it installed. I'll probably follow it's development, with it on Debian Stable.

How would this look, on Discourse?
    Last edited by mikodo; August 3rd, 2013 at 11:21 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    You overlooked Cinnamon - its a fork of GNOME 3 but its GNOME 3 done right - and it looks the way GNOME 3 should have looked had GNOME developers not gone in a new direction. Its a sane desktop environment. Even if you despise GNOME Shell, its still worth checking out and Linux Mint has done a superb job of making a GNOME 2 style operating system run on top of the GNOME 3 technologies.
    Just curious, but do you consider Unity a sane desktop environment? I'm always amazed that people (not necessarily you) would like Unity but think Gnome Shell is terrible. They are in fact very similar in their approach, with slightly different focuses that appeal to different people. I personally love Gnome Shell and find Unity to be okay, but kind of like a more annoying, less fluid version of Gnome Shell.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast