Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any chance of a Ubuntu MATE remix coming out?

Beans

Re: Any chance of a Ubuntu MATE remix coming out?

^Agreed. Gnome 3 is garbage. It just keeps getting more and more resource hungry.

E17 is also a very stunning DE.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Obsolete for you doesn't mean obsolete for everyone. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Gnome 3 is garbage. And it's not getting any better.
    It is obsolete because most applications are moving to gtk3, so Mate is getting in conflict with software updates, this is a pretty objective definition of "obsolete" IMO. xfce and Lxde have similar interfaces but they are not "obsolete" in this sense (may be stylistically, but that is subjective)

MATE is definitely the way to go right now for everyone who need a sane, productivity oriented Linux GUI
    "Everyone"? That is just your opinion. I use Unity (Ubuntu), gnome shell (Debian and Fedora) and Lxde (Lubuntu on older machines), they are all good. How "productive" of course depends on your degree of familiarity. In fact I am really impressed with the way gnome shell handles multiple work places and open instances of applications after working with it for a while. Unity's dash is really efficient in locating files and applications, to me sifting through a menu to find something is really inefficient.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 28th, 2013 at 07:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I haven't followed Mate development, but, has it been completely rewritten to no longer use the unmaintained gtk2 libraries?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I haven't followed Mate development, but, has it been completely rewritten to no longer use the unmaintained gtk2 libraries?
    It doesn't need to be completely rewritten: http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1399

Beans
    Distro

See this re: Fuduntu, systemd, etc.

The suggestion was made that Fuduntu closed down because of issues with Gnome 2 (accurate as far as it goes) and, therefore, MATE must face the same issues.

I'm not a Gnome 2 or MATE diehard. I like Gnome-Shell and have no qualms about using it. But, I don't hold that newer software is, by definition, better software. Yes, it can bring new features and capabilities. But, if I don't have a desire to use the new bits, then they mean nothing to me. So. I don't accept the notion that the arrival of Gnome 3 made anything obsolete.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Give SolusOS a try ! Much better (IMHO) than Mate ! It is Debian based and very stable, They use the Consort desktop, Looks and feels and acts like Gnome2 I have both of there releases installed and have no issues !
    http://solusos.com/
    johnnyg713
    Ultimate Edition,We are World Wide and Growing !
    http://ultimateedition.info/
    http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/for...hp?f=36&t=2387

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    It is obsolete because most applications are moving to gtk3, so Mate is getting in conflict with software updates...
    As I mentioned upthread, the MATE team needs to port to gtk3. How soon that happens depends on the status of gtk3 and the resources available to the MATE team.

But, even if they never move to gtk3, the alleged update issues don't necessarily need to happen. I used to run, for example, CentOS on my desktop. That got me a 2.32 kernel, Gnome 2.28 and Python 2.6. Basically, Gnome as it was several years ago. I ran current versions of every application I wanted to run (the same applications I'd run on any other distribution). It gave me a very solid and stable platform, one with minimal updates (usually only security issues). Lots of other less stable distributions were always pushing out non-security fixes and updates that didn't concern me. Remember, updates often happen because something is wrong with the software you are already using.

After CentOS, I used Gnome-Shell for some time, and like it. I've been running MATE on Slackware for a few weeks (Slackware is an old friend I hadn't visited in a few years.) MATE on Slackware is fast, fine and stable. There's a Gnome 3.8 for Slackware in the works and I may move to that down the road, but I'm in no hurry.

From my point of view, then, software is not obsolete until it stops doing what I want it to do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post

But, even if they never move to gtk3, the alleged update issues don't necessarily need to happen. I used to run, for example, CentOS on my desktop. That got me a 2.32 kernel, Gnome 2.28 and Python 2.6. Basically, Gnome as it was several years ago. I ran current versions of every application I wanted to run (the same applications I'd run on any other distribution). It gave me a very solid and stable platform, one with minimal updates (usually only security issues). Lots of other less stable distributions were always pushing out non-security fixes and updates that didn't concern me. Remember, updates often happen because something is wrong with the software you are already using.

Well "every applications I wanted to run" is quite subjective, some people want less and some people want more, some people don't care for new features and improvement and are satisfied even if their applications are just limping along, some people have old hardware where new versions don't run, so that is not a good gauge for the capability of a platform.

Also the fact that for some people obsolete software works well enough for them doesn't make the software not obsolete. Like my brother who is stuck with win xp because some of his applications are no longer maintained and don't work with Win7 and 8 (I think may work in compatible mode but I don't know enough about Windoze and have no desire to learn), he runs "every software he wants to run" in XP, doesn't mean XP is not an obsolete platform.

I also have a Centos installation (5.8) as I work with someone who use Centos So I use the excuse to play around with it a bit (thinking that it is probably similar to Fedora other than the stale software), If I want it only for a server that is quite good, but no way I would use it for my main desktop with not bleeding edge, but still reasonably up to date hardware.. Most software available is just stale beyond belief and many multimedia stuffs either don't install, or don't work because the versions are too old (to be fair, they do have some fairly up to date stuffs like R if you enable the epel repository)

BTW, gnome 2 is still supported in Debian sqeeze I think, those who don't mind out of date software and want an environment similar to Ubuntu can give it a try.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 28th, 2013 at 08:38 PM.

Beans

GNOME 2 will still be supported for a very long time, but it will not be as widespread.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    ^Agreed. Gnome 3 is garbage. It just keeps getting more and more resource hungry.

E17 is also a very stunning DE.
    You missed an "IMHO" off that. I happily use both. In fact, I don't think I could apply the label "garbage" to any DE or WM.

If it is of importance to you, on the subject of resource usage, I have read two articles recently comparing resource usage of different DEs. KDE came top of both, ahead of Unity and Gnome 3.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast