Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

XBMC vs MythTV

Which one do you prefer and why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: XBMC vs MythTV

XBMC, very easy to install and works beuatifully. MythTV is best if you want to install a tuner card and use the PVR functionality, but if you're just streaming across your network XBMC is much more straightforward to set up. I run XBMC on top of a minimal Ubuntu install on my HTPC, it boots straight into XBMC and we can use smartphones or tablets to control it. Very simple, attractive and reliable.

Beans

Different beasts, but XBMC is easier to install and configure so that gets my vote.

Beans

I use OpenElec on my Raspberry Pi, which is basically a super stripped down "XBMC as an OS" type of setup for simpler/low powered devices. It auto mounts my video and music shares from my server in my basement so I can stream them accordingly. It's been running problem free for months now. Absolutely love it.

To be fair, I haven't used MythTV, but it's hard to invest time in trying something else when I'm as busy as I am these days while having a seemingly bombproof working solution already.
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.