Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: favourite distros

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: favourite distros

The only distros I typically use are Fedora & Ubuntu with Xfce or Mate and Arch Linux usually with Openbox. I prefer the Arch way of installing only what you want and I almost always do minimal installs these days. On servers, I've only ever used CentOS. It's never given me a reason to want to use anything else. Other than those, the only other distros I've ever been greatly impressed by were SolusOS, Salix Xfce edition and Fuduntu (RIP).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    I just stick with Ubuntu or a compatible derivative. Just because of the sheer amount of software available even through stuff like PPAs.
    O'rly? Last time I checked Ubuntu was not the only distro with PPA's.

In fact, the Ubuntu repos have less than some other distro's PPA's.
    Last edited by codingman; May 4th, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I just use ubuntu with unity desktop but i have decided to use fedora with kde desktop beside ubuntu

Beans

I've been using Ubuntu Unity 12.04 for about 9 months. I've tried different distros of Linux over the years, but this one has been superb. I swear that if you sold a typical PC user (not a techie or geek) a computer preloaded with Unity, they'd never know they were running Linux.

Beans

Ubuntu
    Puppy
    Mint
    Fedora (sometimes)

But after trying almost every distro out there, my fav is Ubuntu. Has always worked the best for me. For older hardware, puppy is hard to beat. But it's nice that there's something out there for everyone.

My search is now officially over, I'm sticking with Ubuntu for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Sam Mills; May 5th, 2013 at 04:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu, followed by Mint !

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak Peg View Post
    Thanks everyone
    for all those great replies. I'm like a kid at christmas now wanting to try them all out. As for Arch linux I think I'm still a bit to green, but I would like to try it at some stage.

Well all these distro ideas will be keeping me busy for the next few years, lol

Thanks again
    You can try something like Manjaro or Bridge with Arch where your desktop flavour is all set up for you and you can just try out things. Virtual Machine, Arch Wiki and Arch forum stickies are your friends. Mirrorlists broken and AUR conflicts are your enemies.

Also, to answer your question, I like Fedora and Manjaro this week. If I really just want to use Linux day to day though, I always come back to Xubuntu LTS or XFCE on a minimal iso. At the end of the day the major choice is Desktop Environment rather than which distro to use. I think that brings a bigger change these days and most distros now you can get with multiple Desktop Environments.
    Last edited by pootan; May 5th, 2013 at 05:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have been running PCLinuxOS 32 bit MiniME on my desktop and loving it! I installed "Task Enlightenment" and am really enjoying how resource friendly e17 is. I like having KDE and e17 installed because I enjoy the variety and the latest version of e17 seems pretty stable now. I also like that PCLinuxOS is a rolling release. These days I have better things to do than reinstall my operating system all the time and PCLinuxOS completely takes care of that headache. The tools included are well organized and very helpful. In my opinion, PCLinuxOS is built for performance out of the box, nearly every tweak I would normally do to a KDE based system is already done out of the box.

I run Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 bit on my laptop. The laptop is newer and it has a couple of hardware issues that Mint seems to handle better than anything else. Cinnamon is pretty resource friendly and I like the user interface. My laptop has ATI hybrid graphics and the open source drivers seem to work reliably now. Cinnamon is reasonably light on resources and I like the modern look it has. Mint 14 still has quite a bit of support time left and I will probably stay with it till it reaches EOL.

Beans

My favorite distros are Gentoo, but I use Funtoo due to the better core, and arch linux. I'd love to try source mage, but the installer is OLD, 2 years to be exact.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It will be curious what happens to Linux Mint now that Gnome3.8 and Cinnamon are incompatible.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast