Thread: 13.04 Are the software center and updater ever done?

Beans

13.04 Are the software center and updater ever done?

Yeah it's a weird question, but the icons are very much iOS-like with a progressbar on top of them.

It looks like they are constantly doing something in the background. Is it weird of me to see it that way? If not, when will they be done?

Beans

Re: 13.04 Are the software center and updater ever done?

Quote Originally Posted by thany View Post
    Yeah it's a weird question, but the icons are very much iOS-like with a progressbar on top of them.

It looks like they are constantly doing something in the background. Is it weird of me to see it that way? If not, when will they be done?

I too mistaked it for a process in progress But what to do?? If you look it as a icon with a normal /-\, i think it is going to be alright

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

They are just icons. When the download starts a progress bar will appear across the icon (just tested this for Software Updater). When the download and installation is complete the progress bar will disappear. You can open System Monitor and see if there is any activity on your internet connection apart from the router and the computer maintaining a connection.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Are you referring to the clock, which is the icon for the History page on the Software Center? If it's still installing something, then there will be a moving element somewhere. When the updater is done, it will either give you an error message or tell you the computer is up to date.

Beans

@NikiNfOuR
    Well, the more Ubuntu is meant for noobs as well, the more Canonical needs to seriously think about (and TEST) usability. People who are used to using their iPad or whatever, will sit and wait until whatever progress they think might be happening, is done.

@grahammechanical
    I know I know. I was asking the question out of usability. It's not a very good idea, usability-wise, to make an icon look like a control that normally interacts. Also because in this case, it might actually make sense if the little progressbar were a real one.

@VanillaMozilla
    No, the icon in the taskbar/launcher/sidebar/whatsitcalled. The icon you need to press to launch it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thany View Post
    @NikiNfOuR
    @VanillaMozilla
    No, the icon in the taskbar/launcher/sidebar/whatsitcalled. The icon you need to press to launch it.
    You can always press any icon you see in any kind of launcher. I don't know which icon you saw, but an icon is just an icon. It can look like anything at all.

It sounds like you are possibly a computer newbie? Just persevere and try stuff. There will lots of things that may seem mysterious at first, but they will hopefully seem simple and obvious after you get used to them. Sometimes it pays to be a little bit bold and just try stuff if it seems to makes sense.