Thread: VLC Player

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy VLC Player

Good evening. I have two issues with the VLC player that I am hoping someone can assist me with. I have installed VLC in 10.04, 12.04 as well as Windows XP. My issues concern two features which the propriety multimedia PowerDVd and WinDVd Windows players have. My first issue is that unlike PowerDVd VLC
    does not remember where is was in the movie or TV episode I was watching when I stop an eject the disc. In PowerDVD asks you, when you reinsert the disc, if you want to start from the beginning or from where you stopped the movie. It has an ini file whre it stores this info. I thought that the bookmarks option would do this but it does not work. The bookmark facility stores the name of the DVD and the date the entry was made but under the bytes column it shows a zero. Is there away to get VLC to remeber where I was in the movie when I stopped it?

My second issue is, how do I get VLC to display subtitles? In PowerDVD I just need to right click on the screen and then enable the 'View Subtitles' option.

PowerDVd has two step through option indicated by ◄|| and ||►. Does VLC have a similar functionality? The ◄◄ and ►► buttons in VLC just slow down and speed the movie up. Please refer to the first screen shot for an example. Also the next and previous chapter buttons in VLC most of the time take me back to the DVDs start menu instead of going to the next or previous chapter.

Regards
    Philip
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Philip Gray; May 12th, 2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Another query

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: VLC Player

Hi Philip for subtitles toggle V key if your sub is in same folder with same name

if not same name go Videos/Subtitles/Find

============================

as regards finding place your video last was at

Pause where you are then Ctrl+B /create/close then Ctrl+Y and save as NAMEYOUWANT.m3u

To retrieve drag NAMEYOUWANT.m3u to VLC start/click on screen/ctrl+B/double-click on saved time

===========================

much simpler with SMplayer or Videos[Totem] where last place is automatically saved
    [on SMplayer by default on Totem need to go to preferences]
    Last edited by shantiq; May 13th, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track [◄►] ● Is there Voodoo in the machine?
    ShanArt ● Mark as SolvedXmms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Shantiq

When I press Ctrl+B nothing happens. I tried this in Linux and Windows XP.

Regards
    Philip

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

when video is playing then pause Ctrl+B /create/close then Ctrl+Y and save as NAMEYOUWANT.m3u

or is that what you are doing?
    Last edited by shantiq; May 14th, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track [◄►] ● Is there Voodoo in the machine?
    ShanArt ● Mark as SolvedXmms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi shantiq

That is what I am doing. I started the movie and let it play for awhile. I then clicked the play button to pause it. I then pressed the Ctrl+B keys but nothing happens.

Regards
    Philip
    Last edited by Philip Gray; May 16th, 2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Spelt name incorrectly