Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left 4 Dead 2 to hit Linux next week!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Left 4 Dead 2 to hit Linux next week!

The game I bet a lot of us have been waiting for, L4D2 will come to Linux next week in Beta form!

Story -> http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...next-week.1951

Beans

Re: Left 4 Dead 2 to hit Linux next week!

Wow! Great news! I can't wait to try the game on my Linux machine!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Pretty big news for Linux, it's quite a big game and coming to Linux will only make it bigger , so if you don't own it, buy it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Definitely looking forward to this, awesome news!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This makes me happy. One step closer to being able to game on Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

One more big, **** game for Linux. The rest of the Source engione games won't be far behind, either.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

good news everyone!

but i don't like steam. that's the only issue here. otherwise it's good to see these games coming to linux. i am still waiting for some up to date ones.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'd be interested to know why you don't like Steam? I used to sceptical about them when I was forced onto it in order to play the first Left 4 Dead, but I've really grown to like Steam and Valve. Some of their sales are amazing (recently picked up Portal 2 for £3 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for something like £3.75) and their pre-order offers are very competitive (I recently pre-ordered Bioshock Infinite for £30, same price as Amazon, and got both Bioshock and XCOM for free). Plus for many games now they've integrated mod support directly into the Steam client (eg Skyrim, Fallout, Left 4 Dead, Portal, Team Fortress, Killing Floor, Red Orchestra, and many more). Also you have to applaud their support for up and coming indie developers with their Greenlight project, which allows/encourages Steam users to vote for games to be published on Steam. And their choice to support Linux (and Mac a few years ago) can only be seen as good thing. No company is perfect and they do have their faults, but Steam/Valve come out as one of the good guys in the world of EA Origin, Ubisoft UPlay, Blizzard Battlenet, Windows Live, etc. And it's the company behind Half-Life!
    Last edited by ZombieApocalypse; April 29th, 2013 at 02:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I like steam as well. Some of the games I got from steam have extra stuff when you buy it from Steam. Also the achievement system helps to explore the possibilities in a game, something extra goal you can set for a game.
    And the way you can arrange your games in Steam into groups are also helpful.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'm excited about growing gaming support for Linux, and Valve is a big contributor.

That being said, I also dislike Steam. If you'll read the fine print, you don't actually OWN any of the games you "buy" from Steam. Valve's Steam client is a service, which means anytime they decide to discontinue, they can. It also means that your account can be blocked/banned, and there is nothing you can do about it. If you're determined to be "cheating" at a game, your account can be banned, whether or not Valve's cheat-autodetection software is telling the truth.

I've actually heard stories of people's account being cancelled for no good reason, and Valve being less than forthcoming about why.

If you want to play a game on Steam, buy the game in a retail or digital copy from the actual publisher, and use the Steam Key they provide to activate. That way you have a copy of the game that is actually yours, to do with as you please.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast