Thread: Messed up 13.04 upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Messed up 13.04 upgrade

Hi,

Out of curiosity, I've attempted an upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, after a backup. I've never done an upgrade before, always clean installs, but I wanted to try and see how it goes, for experience. I've read this webpage:
    http://www.tuxtrix.com/2013/03/how-t...4-to-1304.html[COLOR=#FFFFFF ! important]122[/COLOR]

After a backup, I started the upgrade ( sudo apt-get dist-upgrade ). Then I got a few errors at the end, I guess. After a reboot, LightDM was not showing the Ubuntu 13.04 logo, but still 12.04. Logged in, then I realised that probably broke Compiz / Unity / Nautilus. According to the system monitor, I was on Ubuntu 13.04, but had no way to verify.

Well, that wasn't a very good experience for my first upgrade (Wasn't expecting anything great. Just curious)! I do realise I've tried to skip 12.10, actually, for the upgrade. Maybe that wasn't a good idea.

Anyways, I restored my Ubuntu_OS partition, everything look fixed. But I stupidly replaces my Ubuntu_Home backup (I've realised I've done a second backup of Ubuntu_OS and erasing my Ubuntu_Home backup...), using Clonezilla...
    I have a working backup of my Home directory 5 days earlier. I wouldn't loose a lot of stuff (That I could backup right now anyways), but I would like to be sure:

Did the messed-up upgrade modified anything in the Home directory?
    Everything is running fine, now..

I did tested Raring from a LiveCD, and it look good - maybe I'll just install it next to Precise.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Messed up 13.04 upgrade

https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...roject/upgrade

has a lot of good advice.

If you want to take risks (and with a good backup it's OK), you can look at the following link

http://lawrit.lawr.ucdavis.edu/it-he...a-command-line

so
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    is doing the move from 12.04 to 12.10, and then you need another step from 12.10 to 13.04. I think it is a better idea to run them side by side (Precise and Raring).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...roject/upgrade

has a lot of good advice.

If you want to take risks (and with a good backup it's OK), you can look at the following link

http://lawrit.lawr.ucdavis.edu/it-he...a-command-line

so
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    is doing the move from 12.04 to 12.10, and then you need another step from 12.10 to 13.04. I think it is a better idea to run them side by side (Precise and Raring).
    Thanks. I'll probably try that, one version at a time. I'm especially curious about the speed of Raring everyone mention. It's actually true that there only are a few features added, but if it's even faster..

The social lens looked interesting, as well.
    On my problematic upgrade, is my Home directory untouched?

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm not sure, but I don't think your home directory was damaged. But the command(s) you described
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    are all standard commands to keep an installed Ubuntu version up to date. They should be safe; it is considered more risky to forget to do these updates, because of the security updates to prevent attacks from the internet. Once in a great while something is broken, but it will be fixed within a few days in the normal case. However, if you have some packages with PPAs, that are not supervised by the Ubuntu or Canonical people, there might be conflicts.

Edit: Read about these commands in the manual pages
    Code:
    man apt-get
    Last edited by sudodus; April 26th, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I'm not sure, but I don't think your home directory was damaged. But the command(s) you described
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    are all standard commands to keep an installed Ubuntu version up to date. They should be safe; it is considered more risky to forget to do these updates, because of the security updates to prevent attacks from the internet. Once in a great while something is broken, but it will be fixed within a few days in the normal case. However, if you have some packages with PPAs, that are not supervised by the Ubuntu or Canonical people, there might be conflicts.

Edit: Read about these commands in the manual pages
    Code:
    man apt-get
    Yes, I have multiple (Around 12) PPAs enabled, and I'll see if this cause any problem (This is probable). I am aware the more PPAs I have enabled, the more risks I take to have a non-working software, or more.
    Last edited by GameX2; April 26th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.