Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open source

Beans

Open source

I just had a question. How can I take a peek at the open source code and if I wanted to modify it a little how do you do that? What programing language would I use.
    Last edited by lisati; May 18th, 2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Please use the default font

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Open source

For which project?
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

there is launchpad, where you can find many opensource projects with their source code available for browsing.

http://launchpad.net

find your favorite project and start the feast.
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Then there's sourceforge.net, code.google.com, github.com, koding.com, and several others in numerous langauges.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans

I have Ubuntu 12.10. I will soon be upgrading to 13.0. I have another dumb question. Is it possible to see closed source programs? I know its technically not legal to mess with it. I'm just asking if it's possible just to look at it.
    Last edited by lisati; May 18th, 2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Please use the default font size

Is it possible to read a book? Well, yeah, but only if you have a copy of the book. Having the movie on DVD isn't enough.

Is it possible to read source code? Well, yeah, but only if you have a copy of the source code. Having a compiled program isn't enough.

It's not possible to take a program distributed in binary format and extract the source code: you can't just open an .exe file and view the source for Photoshop. But if some disgruntled Adobe employee leaked the Photoshop source code onto TPB or something, you could download it (though doing so might be illegal, depending on the license and where you live).

Beans

What I was thinking was that I would be able to view closed source code with some text viewing program. But I thought it would be encrypted or something like that or just unviewable. I'm new at this stuff that's why I'm asking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Tesseract007 View Post
    What I was thinking was that I would be able to view closed source code with some text viewing program. But I thought it would be encrypted or something like that or just unviewable. I'm new at this stuff that's why I'm asking.
    No, you can't do that. You would just get a lot of gibberish. The source code is not saved in the executable files. The compiler translates it to machine language. It's a language that a computer can execute but it's not human-readable. You can try and see for yourself
    Code:
    gedit executable_file
    Windows is not user friendly,it's just user familiar

Beans

You would have to reverse engineer and decompile the proprietary executable, which would be highy illegal and probably violate at least 35 laws (give or take a few 30). Then, you would be able to view the source code, although it would probably still not make sense.

Beans

...Unless the proprietary program is written in an interpreted language, which they usually aren't because it's hard to keep it proprietary in that case. But viewability really depends on whether the language is compiled or interpreted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast