• Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

14 15.38%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve

7 7.69%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

32 35.16%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

17 18.68%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

6 6.59%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Raring Installation & Upgrade Experiences

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Raring Installation & Upgrade Experiences

Installer kind of slow starting up, saw small circle spinning forever before getting to the partition table, I thought it hanged and just about to reboot (it did hang with the beta and needed workaround to even install) and then it started working. Once got after partitioning installation was smooth and quite fast, just the beginning waiting was long. It seems that ubiguity hasn't been working too well in the last couple of releases.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 22nd, 2013 at 11:39 PM.

Beans

Lost HDMI audio output on my Radeon HD 6670. Now I can't hook up my computer to my TV (which runs my stereo amplifier) for streaming music when I have parties. But that just means I'll have to buy some audio jack adapters and plug audio directly to the amplifier now.

edit: forgot to say I upgraded.
    Last edited by midasmind; May 23rd, 2013 at 09:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by midasmind View Post
    Lost HDMI audio output on my Radeon HD 6670. Now I can't hook up my computer to my TV (which runs my stereo amplifier) for streaming music when I have parties. But that just means I'll have to buy some audio jack adapters and plug audio directly to the amplifier now.

edit: forgot to say I upgraded.
    THere is a solution to your problem in this post.

Beans

Congratulations

I have just installed Ubuntu for the first time. 13.04.
    The installation was flawless.
    The desktop was exactly as I wanted it 'out of the box'.
    It was as though I had designed it myself.
    Clean desktop. Taskbar on the left, Single click. Everything intuative.Settings fantastic. Network printer connected with no problem. Updated with no problems.
    A pleasure to use. which I will from now on.

Beans

Re: Congratulations

Congrats!
    Now check out this webpage:
    http://www.noobslab.com/2013/04/twea...nstall-of.html

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Installed Xubuntu 13.04 (Clean install) on both laptop and desktop, laptop went 100% perfect, desktop had random logout issue resolved by installing patched version of xfce4-session. (See Bug #1104435 on Launchpad for more info... I just installed from the PPA in the comments section).

Other than that (major problem but easy fix), flawless.

Not a huge fan of the new larger-size images as I like to have an archive of a couple previous versions at least so if something major is broken with the new version I can always just go back to the most recent version that I know works on the machine. I could buy DVDs, but what fun is that?

Some others I see have been having issues with the installer... I 'tested Xubuntu without installing' and then used the installer from within the fully booted system... for me at least seems like it was way quicker than with previous versions of *buntu.

All in all, a positive experience!!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Sorry for not doing a very complicated install report, I'm not really sure how. All I really needed to do that wasn't straight forward was setting up my Wireless Driver which was still quick to set up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Haven't been using Ubuntu (as opposed to Xubuntu) since the switch to Unity. I dip my toes every now and then. Just yesterday I installed Unity/Raring on a spare partition. I was very disappointed. The DE is buggy and still resists any sort of customization. I applied transparency to the panel and was still served up an artifact from a prior window that had been beneath the panel. Couldn't get rid of it. Makes the DE feel absurdly amateurish. I wanted the Launcher (the left-side app bar as some call it) to be completely transparent. But either the transparency doesn't work correctly or the Unity devs have decided they know best. The launcher insists on tinting its transparency with whatever colors are on the desktop. Not an effect I like. Myunity doesn't work on 13.04. Ubuntu-Tweak is marginal and Unity Tweak was buggy. If I chose a solid color then I lost transparency. I had to Google how to disable web-search. The option to switch this off should be, in my opinion, immediately available and transparent. The inability to install click-to-minimize (a feature that devs have refused to make available -- opting for spread instead) cripples the launcher's functionality. Also have never liked how the launcher "smashes" extra launchers at the bottom of the bar. It's subjective, but to me it looks amateurish. Unity, to this user, still fells like a square peg being rammed into a round hole. It's a mobile DE that only marginally works on a desktop or laptop and, like Gnome Shell, requires too many third party additions to produce anything like a DE that I, at least, would want to use.
    Last edited by VTPoet; July 3rd, 2013 at 10:43 PM.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Upgraded to Xubuntu 13.04 from 12.10, and the only problem is, it seems to have messed up my /usr/share/icons folder. I have only 3 icon themes that show all icons, the other 10 show partial icons. And I'm stuck with a large black mouse cursor. Hmmmm.... At least it's not a MAJOR mess up.
    I'm a man, I can re-install, if I have to, I guess!

Beans

I upgraded my Dell Inspiron 1525 from 12.04 to 12.10 and straight to 13.04.
    The second step left me with a near-unusable system, crashing on startup.
    Some research revealed that the file system had turned read-only, which I was able to fix by un- and remounting it.
    The cause turned out to be the wrong driver for the wireless card BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY. I removed bcmwl-kernel-source and the computer started again.
    Firefox had the issue of not responding to my efforts to change its window size. This went away with doing it using the keyboard once, since then it works normally.
    When starting to Gnome, I do not see application or status bars, and I am using Gnome fallback instead. Not sure whether my hardware supports Gnome anyway.
    I have not checked many other applications, so I might add to this post.
    All in all, I wish Ubuntu managed a more flawless installation, especially for all those users out there who may not have the patience t go through the stepps I used. I think this would turn most people off.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast