• Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

14 15.38%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve

7 7.69%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

32 35.16%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

17 18.68%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

6 6.59%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Raring Installation & Upgrade Experiences

Beans

Re: Raring Installation & Upgrade Experiences

Another Ubuntu upgrade and more problems.
    I've never had one go smoothly.
    Lightdm shows a black screen.
    GDM draws a background but I can't log into anything.
    Why do I ever bother to upgrade? It always ends in pain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have never had a problem using the upgrade tool as long as I am upgrading right away. So for example if I decided not to upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04 until about two months after 13.04 was released it always will say upgrade complete but as soon as I restart the system I get stuck at a black screen. So I either upgrade within the first week or I do a fresh install which usually is not a problem since my current notebook does not require the install of any additional proprietary drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by DMGrier View Post
    I have never had a problem using the upgrade tool as long as I am upgrading right away. So for example if I decided not to upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04 until about two months after 13.04 was released it always will say upgrade complete but as soon as I restart the system I get stuck at a black screen. So I either upgrade within the first week or I do a fresh install which usually is not a problem since my current notebook does not require the install of any additional proprietary drivers.
    So, then would you say that as long as you use the upgrade tool in the update manager, let's say, as soon as the next version goes final, then the upgrade has come off totally smooth with no breakages or other problems?

I was thinking about trying my first upgrade when 13.10 is final released (on my newly installed 13.04 final) rather then going through the bother of re-installing completely...so i was very interested about that...

Also, when you upgrade, does it carry over all the programs media (like videos, music documents) and files you have from your previous install?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Also, when you upgrade, does it carry over all the programs media (like videos, music documents) and files you have from your previous install?
    Upgrading theoretically preserves everything in your setup, including apps and settings. You should still backup, though, as there's always possibility of disaster (hard drive crash, comet impact, etc.).
    Linux User #448337
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3L MB, Q9650 Core 2 Quad @ 3.3 GHz (OC), 8 GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 SDRAM, EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS w/640MB, 40 GB Intel SSD, 2.0 TB x2 SATA RAID1, Ubuntu 17.04 x86_64

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    So, then would you say that as long as you use the upgrade tool in the update manager, let's say, as soon as the next version goes final, then the upgrade has come off totally smooth with no breakages or other problems?

I was thinking about trying my first upgrade when 13.10 is final released (on my newly installed 13.04 final) rather then going through the bother of re-installing completely...so i was very interested about that...

From 12.04 to 12.10 to 13.04 I have never had a issue upgrading at all as long as I do it the week it goes final. Yeah it carries everything over but always back up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks...i will keep that in mind when 13.10 goes final...and get "on it" quickly

All my media (videos, music) and documents and other important files i have on a flash drive...i use that whenever i make a fresh install to put all my "stuff" back on again...
    so, no problem with that...
    Last edited by craig10x; May 5th, 2013 at 02:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried it for a few days with a fresh install, I have to say... its beautiful.... really really polished.... however I went back to 12.04 since the system was slow to the point of being ususable especially after running for a while, thats my only real gripe... I suppose the issues will be fixed by the next LTS release though

Beans

I installed in on my 2011 MacBook Pro 8,1

Ubuntu 13.04 64bit Mac version.

Installed flawlessly except the Broadcom 4331 Wireless Card did not work so had to find the drivers for that.

This version of Unity is wayyyyyy smoother than 12.04 in my opinion.

Beans

I always do a Fresh Install of Ubuntu after each release. This version works like a charm. No problems at all

My Specs:
    1.7 GHz AMD Dual-Core E2-1800
    4GB DDR3
    AMD A68M FCH
    AMD Radeon HD 7340

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A 13.04 fresh install on my HP tower was flawless - however the fresh install was REQUIRED because the upgrade failed to complete!

I had been testing the 13.04 daily releases on my laptop (really a full 13.04 install in early March and apt-get routine daily, followed by aggressive use of bleachbit) I'm still using this and it works perfectly.

My one bad experience with the upgrade led me to a decision in the future to use one of the other methods I used.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast