• Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

14 15.38%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve

7 7.69%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

32 35.16%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

17 18.68%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

6 6.59%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Raring Installation & Upgrade Experiences

Beans

Re: Raring Installation & Upgrade Experiences

Ran an update from 12.10 on my desktop and a clean installation on the laptop. Both installations went well. The only problem I am having is with Yahoo Mail which will not display messages for more than a few seconds. It did work on the laptop until I agreed to install the Yahoo mail app when prompted to by Firefox. The desktop already had the app installed when I upgraded.

Other than the Yahoo mail issue 13.04 looks good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks, Jenks141, for the info on the Yahoo mail webapp. I, too, had it already installed on my desktop before upgrading. I disabled all webapps in Unity Tweak Tool and then Yahoo mail worked fine in Firefox. I then went into Synaptic and uninstalled unity-webapps-yahoomail. I renenabled webapp prompts and now all is right with that world. The Yahoo mail webapp was definitely the problem.
    Linux User #448337
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3L MB, Q9650 Core 2 Quad @ 3.3 GHz (OC), 8 GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 SDRAM, EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS w/640MB, 40 GB Intel SSD, 2.0 TB x2 SATA RAID1, Ubuntu 17.04 x86_64

Beans

I upgraded from 12.10 and experienced "kernel panic" and could not boot the OS.
    I then downloaded an iso image and did an install of 13.04 - not a clean install however.
    I had a choice to install I guess you would say over the current installed 13.04 in order to save
    many of my apps settings etc.
    This worked as many have noted with out any problems except that Wicd broke, which
    actually is OK as Wicd isn't supported very well.
    I am quite happy that virtualbox had no issues through all this.

Since I am relatively new - not sure I didn't bite off more than I could chew.
    I caused myself more pain by ripping out and reinstalling nm that I needed too
    but with some great help here I got that fixed in about an hour.

Over all I am happy - coming from Windows I can say I have experienced
    a lot worse

Beans

Thanks Tanker Bob followed you steps to remove the Yahoo webapp and all seems OK now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

for some weird reason, few time after the installation both Xubuntu 13.04 and Ubuntu 13.04 gave me problems with my video card (probably because it is an old ATI HD2400XT); hence I've had to reinstall Ubuntu 12.04, which is the one that has always worked fine.

Beans

i upgraded from lubuntu 12.10 to 13.04 no problems, yahoo worked fine, thunderbird worked fine too didnt even have a problem with my wireless broadcom 4311 worked surprisingly
    dell inspiron e1405
    60 gig hdd
    2.5 gig ram

Beans

I upgraded when prompted. It went very smooth. The only problem I have now is that Yahoo Mail checks mail every 2 seconds making it impossible to read email. It does not do this in other browsers of OS's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

qishoushi,

Read post #12 on how to fix Yahoo mail.
    Linux User #448337
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3L MB, Q9650 Core 2 Quad @ 3.3 GHz (OC), 8 GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 SDRAM, EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS w/640MB, 40 GB Intel SSD, 2.0 TB x2 SATA RAID1, Ubuntu 17.04 x86_64

Beans

Hi there. I ran the upgrade from 12.10 and it worked well except for the resolution on the TV. All my 16:10 resolutions disappeared and the 16:9 choices are too big for the TV. I had this issue when I first installed 12.10 and I fixed it with the xorg.conf file but that didn't work this time. I have a small form factor Acer with an Intel Sandybridge graphics card and I use it to run XBMC on a cheap LED 42" TV. I am working through the forums for a fix now but may end up doing a fresh install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I upgraded from 12.04, and ran into some issues.

Background: I've just been doing in-place software manager upgrades for a couple years. This was starting to leave some issues, and recently after another kernel update my touchpad ceased to work. So I decided to upgrade to 13.04 to see if that would help, and again did it through the software manager. That didn't solve my issues, the system was incredibly sluggish, and things just weren't working well.

So I used the live disk and reinstalled the system files while leaving my home directory alone. I was reticent to do this, because once time that process locked me out of my encrypted home directory. That didn't happen this time, and the reinstallation took care of the speed issues, the touchpad problem, and a number of other little things (the system has only hard-locked on me once in four days; usually it does that once or twice a day).

However, there is a problem with the launcher autohiding. It will autohide, but it leaves a blank space in place of the launcher, and any full-screen apps are cut off/covered by that blank space on the left side of the screen. There's a bug report on this in launchpad, and I've posted images of my desktop's issue there.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1078075
    https://launchpadlibrarian.net/13866...er.problem.png
    Last edited by wyth; April 30th, 2013 at 07:01 AM.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast