Thread: VirtualBox how to mount windows 7 from CD/DVD?

Beans

Question VirtualBox how to mount windows 7 from CD/DVD?

First post

I installed VirtualBox software on Ubuntu. I have a Windows 7 Professional 64bit DVD that my friend at work gave me - it's wicked shiny. I want to run Windows 7 64bit as a VM using VirtualBox software running on Ubuntu 12.10 (or whatever the latest version is). I add a new VM using the VM Wizard. I give it 666MB RAM and 50GB storage, while using all the other default settings.

I knowingly start the VM in anticipation of it not working and get this message:
    "
    Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.
    "

I assume it's because I have not actually "installed" the Windows 7 OS. From what I gather you do this using the OS "install" CD/DVD or from an ISO file.

So how do I use the DVD to enable this VM?

Beans

Re: VirtualBox how to mount windows 7 from CD/DVD?

this is just a quick reply, but the windows 7 dvd probably has nothing to do with why the VM is not running. It seems like the vboxdrv module isn't loaded, which could be resolved using the "sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" command at a terminal prompt, or possibly reinstalling VirtualBox. If the module is correctly loaded, the command "lsmod" should show a bunch of vbox modules, such as vboxpci ,etc.

Typically, I have had the most success with the virtualbox installs from the official oracle website at www.virtualbox.org instead of the virtualbox ose version that can be found on the ubuntu apt-get repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: VirtualBox how to mount windows 7 from CD/DVD?

Check that your hardware supports virtualisation.
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-x...amd-v-support/