Thread: Discovering/Pairing bluetooth devices causes system to crash

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Discovering/Pairing bluetooth devices causes system to crash

Looking for some pointers here if possible. I've been having difficulty getting bluetooth going on my Dell Mini/Lubuntu 12.04 via a Dynamode v2.0 dongle. I've tried discovering/pairing bluetooth devices using blueman bluetooth manager and also gnome-bluetooth. In a lot of cases I can detect the particular bluetooth device but then when I attemp to pair with it, my system crashes and I need to power cycle the pc. In some cases though, even the detection process e.g. of my K810 Logitech Keyboard, causes the system to crash. I've googled and searched the forums for answers. Nothing has explained my situation but some of the more useful info I've found has been

http://devasive.blogspot.ie/2012/11/...h-pairing.html
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...k810+bluetooth

Again, using terminal commands e.g. hcitool scan causes my system to crash.
    Last edited by stevesy; April 27th, 2013 at 09:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Discovering/Pairing bluetooth devices causes system to crash

Finally got bluetooth working! I decided to return my Dynamode dongle and swapped it for a slightly less cheapo dongle, a Hantol v2.0 which is around €10/$13. This solved the system hang problem. So, if you're experiencing crashing like I was then from my experience it's most likely the dongle you're using. Maybe consider upgrading it.

I used blueman bluetooth manager 1.23 that ships with Lubuntu 12.04 to pair/connect my bluetooth devices. I'll tell you the process I went through to get my K810 keyboard working..

Open a terminal (ctrl & alt & T) and enter in blueman-manager to open up the bluetooth manager.

Click "enable bluetooth" on the gui that pops up.

Make sure your K810 keyboard is discoverable and then click on the "search" button. When the keyboard is detected it'll appear on the devices list. Once it does, highlight it and click on "setup" to access the setup assistant and get pairing set up

Click on custom pin/passkey code and enter whatever you like (e.g.0000 ) then quickly enter this same code into the K810 keyboard (and hit enter). You may need to try this a few times before it works, I got "pairing failed" quite a bit before succeeding. Power cycling the keyboard and pc may also be worth a go if you're having no luck pairing. Once paired and the device added click on "input service" and you're good to go. If you trust the device which I assume you will as it's your keyboard, click on the yellow star to add it as such. Done.

If none of that works try another app e.g. gnome bluetooth and/or command-line workarounds like http://devasive.blogspot.ie/2012/11/...h-pairing.html

Just to mention, PC-Smartphone bluetooth works fine for me.
    Still looking into Keyboard-Smartphone, devices pair but won't connect.

Hope this is of some help to those suffering from the same headache as i was.
    Last edited by stevesy; April 27th, 2013 at 09:52 PM.