Thread: Ubuntu on 30 gig SSD but applications on larger hard drive

Beans

Ubuntu on 30 gig SSD but applications on larger hard drive

On Saturday I won an ultrabook/netbook at Linuxfest Northwest, they installed OpenSUSE on it which I prefer Ubuntu, so I did a general install of Ubuntu with everything to the SSD, looking back on that decision I regret it, but at this point there is no data on here that I would be hurt losing. I need suggestions partitioning this ultrabook/netbook to keep the speed of the SSD but utilize the large hard drive for everything else (Like new applications).

TLDR: Won ultrabook at Linuxfest Northwest, installed Ubuntu with non optimal partions, looking to correct my mistake and set it up so I can keep the speed of the SSD but use the larger hard drive for new applications/updates.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu on 30 gig SSD but applications on larger hard drive

Congratulations on your Win!

30GB SSD is perfect. Install Ubuntu on it with only "/" mountpoint. I have only 20GB "/" and after installing everything I need I have more than 10GB to spare.

When we don't use separate "/home", Home folder will be created within "/". I don't use "/home". Instead to save my DATA I use just ext4 formatted partition. Which I mount manually when I want to read from it or write to it.

You can use your SSD to install ubuntu with "/" and the HDD as ext4 formatted DATA partition and save your Data on it. Also make a SWAP on HDD.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu on 30 gig SSD but applications on larger hard drive

applicaitons should be on SSD. data can be elsewhere (for exmaple since this is notebook) this will likely be external disk unelss you have a hybrid disk or if the normal HDD is inside.
    if you have it inside you can just put home on that disk. or you can move it there. for example: http://www.howtogeek.com/116742/how-...alling-ubuntu/

home keeps user datat and users settings.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla