Thread: failed upgrade, now cannot boot from usb

Beans

failed upgrade, now cannot boot from usb

When attempting to update to 13.04 earlier from 12.10, there was an 'error in process' warning because the boot directory was full and the only way I could get out to free up space was to stop the upgrade, ignoring the warning about unstable system resulting.

The resulting system does have errors, and I was planning on a fresh install originally anyway, so I'm trying that, but for whatever reason I cannot boot from the USB stick. There seems to be a problem with grub. I remember fixing a failed system update before by running a dkpg command or something but I cannot remember what it was. Is anyone able to help me? I use a Samsung NC110.

Thank you
    Last edited by jaramarana; April 26th, 2013 at 01:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: failed upgrade, now cannot boot from usb

Hmm, did you try downloading the ISO from Ubuntu's website or from a torrent, burn the ISO to a DVD, and then do a fresh install 13.04 that way? If not, I would recommend trying my suggestion. It might help you.

Beans

Thanks for your help. I've downloaded the .iso but since my netbook has no USB drive, I cannot use a DVD to install.

All I need to do is get the thing to boot from USB - I don't mind about losing any data from the disk, obviously.

Beans

Apologies - I've solved this. The downloaded iso was corrupt.

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

You need a DVD drive to be able to use a DVD, not a USB drive. USB drives aren't DVD drives, now are they?