Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: how to change repos to Saucy

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: how to change repos to Saucy

Major kernel version upgrades or ABI increases are installed automatically when a new linux-meta package is uploaded to the repos. i.e. the upgrade of that pulls in the new kernel version as a dependency on a dist-upgrade.

Until a new matching linux-meta version is uploaded, you will have to manually select and install the newer kernel versions.

There is no new linux-meta package matching the 3.9 kernel yet, so manual upgrade/install is it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by JMB74 View Post
    Major kernel version upgrades or ABI increases are installed automatically when a new linux-meta package is uploaded to the repos. i.e. the upgrade of that pulls in the new kernel version as a dependency on a dist-upgrade.

Until a new matching linux-meta version is uploaded, you will have to manually select and install the newer kernel versions.

There is no new linux-meta package matching the 3.9 kernel yet, so manual upgrade/install is it.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JMB74 View Post

OK, I suspected that. Thanks for the confirmation.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    I think you may have to install it manually - kernel 3.x version bumps are treated as new packages, not as upgrades to kernel 3.x-1. That's why you can have different versions.

I'm not sure about that. I had already installed 3.9 from mainline. When I saw 3.9 available in the repos, I removed 3.9 (that I'd installed), but it didn't offer to install it, so I went ahead and installed it manually. All seems to be functioning nominally...
    Unless I am mistaken, When 3.9.0.1 is available for Automatic Installation, it should still come on through even if you have the 3.9 RC8 Mainline Kernel installed. If you press a certain keyboard key at Startup, you will then be able to Boot to the Regular Kernel instead of the Mainline Kernel.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Distro

Yep. The mainline kernels from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ are fine to be installed in parallel with the ubuntu builds in the main repos. A slightly different version numbering scheme ensures that they don't interfere with the installation each other.

Beans
    Distro

Saucy cycle conundrum...

- Are we going to update gtk to 3.8 and follow gnome upstream?
    - Or are we going to remove gtk/gnome apps(totem, eog, gnome-terminal, nautilus etc) and move to Qt/QML apps?
    - Are we going to start testing Unity Next and Mir in this cycle?
    Last edited by serdotlinecho; April 27th, 2013 at 10:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I'm in, but don't know how to get updates via the Terminal, if I enter sudo apt-get update it just says get then a number, but never shows any updates or looks like its installing.

not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Screenshot from 2013-04-27 08:13:02.jpgScreenshot from 2013-04-27 07:22:19.jpg

Roland
    Toshiba Satellite Running Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Can you read OP and first post, there is... [B]sudo sed -i 's/raring/saucy/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

... or open Synaptic and upgrade there your system...
    Last edited by jppr; April 27th, 2013 at 08:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by roly33 View Post
    I'm in, but don't know how to get updates via the Terminal, if I enter sudo apt-get update it just says get then a number, but never shows any updates or looks like its installing.
    apt-get update refresh the package listing, which tells the system these are the latest packages.
    running apt-get upgrade, or apt-get dist-upgrade will download and install the updated packages.
    Typically, it'll show you a list of packages that have updates, and a yes/no option if you don't want to install, or not.

There are other commands to look at in the man page
    Code:
    man apt-get
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by roly33 View Post

not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Screenshot from 2013-04-27 07:22:19.jpgApart from large parts of the toolchain and a few other packages,

Roland
    Your second screenshot shows that you have already upgraded the base packages to saucy, otherwise it would still say "raring".

There may be nothing else to upgrade on your mirror as yet.
    Last edited by JMB74; April 27th, 2013 at 08:49 AM.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast