Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: how to change repos to Saucy

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: how to change repos to Saucy

Correct. Unless you really know what you are doing, or as a matter of urgency need to test something specific, then it's advisable not to have "proposed" enabled on the development release.

An example during raring was where certain libraries needed for multiarch support build for some architectures but failed on others. people with proposed not enabled saw nothing, as the packages didn't move to released until they were fixed. Some people with "proposed" enabled ended up with either broken multiarch support, or by accepting upgrades from proposed that they shouldn't have caused multiarch support to be removed completely. In turn that ended up with things like googleearth, skype, crossoverlinux/wine and more etc etc being nuked or not running.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

13.10 is a development version, how to test it fully if you don´t use in proposed updates? In fact, I've been using for 6 years from the first development version since in proposed upgrades and that is not ever been to any kind of problem.

Again, this is a development version of my full daily use, installed on own HD just as is the 13.10 Ubuntu-Gnome and Windows 8 Pro. Also, Ubuntu 13.10 Ubuntu-Gnome is used in proposed upgrades.
    Last edited by jppr; May 4th, 2013 at 08:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jppr View Post
    13.10 is a development version, how to test it fully if you don´t use in proposed updates?
    Of copurse you can test the development version without proposed enabled. Read the posts and links on the previous page.

The way the new packages go into the repos changed at the start of the raring cycle.

Previously the went straight into "released". Now the go into "proposed" for a short while until they build OK for all architectures, and pass some automatic instability testing etc.

The role of the proposed pocket has changed.

You can still test saucy just fine without proposed enabled, as the delay for packages that build/pass the tests becoming available is short. Packages that don't make it from "proposed" to "released" in a reasonable time likely have something wrong with them, so not a good idea to let those install.

Beans
    Distro

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/036043.html

I'm still frantically putting the bits together for this, but it's now far enough along that I feel comfortable saying we're going to be doing it for Raring, so:

In the continuing cause of trying to make the development series more usable at all times, not just around milestones, I'm rearranging the way our uploads are processed. For Raring, all uploads will go to raring-proposed, and a modified instance of "britney" (the software that handles migration from Debian unstable to testing) will copy them to raring when they've been built everywhere and do not reduce the count of installable packages in the archive.

The intent of this is to come as close as possible to eliminating transient uninstallability problems in the development release. We probably won't get all the way there. It will still be possible for uninstallability to be introduced by copies not all happening in a single publisher run, transient uninstallability in -proposed will still affect package builds, and it won't catch all cases where sets of packages that used to be simultaneously installable stop being so (the general case of this is NP-complete anyway). Even with these limitations, though, it should make things a lot better.
    and

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/000989.html

As I described in https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/036043.html, all uploads to raring will now be automatically redirected to raring-proposed by default.

They will be automatically copied to raring once they pass various tests such as being no less installable than the previous version, and soon I hope to take autopkgtest results into consideration as well.

Attempts to copy ("sync") directly into raring will be refused. syncpackage's default will be changed in the next ubuntu-dev-tools upload, but in the meantime please use 'syncpackage -r raring-proposed'.

This was one of the last blockers to opening raring for general development, so we should be able to get moving on this fairly soon. Cheers,

Beans
    Distro

And from a ubuntu developer/maintainer who know what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Right, we strongly discourage people from running -proposed on a development release; packages will automatically migrate to the regular archives when they're ready.

After release, -proposed is for testing SRUs and we want people to use -proposed and help out with that testing.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    @serdotlinecho, do you have the proposed repositories enabled, as the developers don't recommend it. Packages are moved to the proposed repositories, while waiting for dependencies to build, so things may not work as expected.

I have just been doing regular updates twice a day without the proposed repositories enabled, and neither system running Saucy has shutdown problems.

On my netbook running Ubuntu Gnome, I thought I had a problem with suspend after installing a different wireless driver than I normally use, but I was jus being impatient , it suspended when I closed the lid, as it should.

This early in the development cycle, we shouldn't be running into these types of problems yet as we are still closer to Raring, than Saucy.
    I just want to share my experience with other Ubuntu+1 members. I started testing ubuntu development branch 11.10 alpha and switch completely to ubuntu development branch since 12.04 cycle(proposed repositories enabled) and up until now the current development cycle.

Beans
    Distro

? Saucy is in the daily builds already. I didn't have to change repos.

I just copied raring....amd64.iso to saucy...amd64.iso and did a zsync to the daily build. 74.8% was the same only had to update 25.2%. Cuts way down on the ubuntu server load.

Then just did an install went fine.

In the U+1 forum I expect to do a lot of installs which tests for bugs in the install process.

Also after an accumulation of updates a fresh install cleans things up and may reduce the disk space used as shown by "df" more than 10%. apt-get clean, apt-get autoremove, and apt-get purge linux-image-....... and apt-get purge linux-headers..... help but there is still garbage left since "df" is still fatter than after install.

Ergo not at all sure about how this "rolling" release stuff will work....

BTW, installed to a USB SSD just in case the "unstable" install botched things up like sometimes.....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    ? Saucy is in the daily builds already. I didn't have to change repos.

I just copied raring....amd64.iso to saucy...amd64.iso and did a zsync to the daily build. 74.8% was the same only had to update 25.2%. Cuts way down on the ubuntu server load.

Then just did an install went fine.

In the U+1 forum I expect to do a lot of installs which tests for bugs in the install process.

Also after an accumulation of updates a fresh install cleans things up and may reduce the disk space used as shown by "df" more than 10%. apt-get clean, apt-get autoremove, and apt-get purge linux-image-....... and apt-get purge linux-headers..... help but there is still garbage left since "df" is still fatter than after install.

Ergo not at all sure about how this "rolling" release stuff will work....

BTW, installed to a USB SSD just in case the "unstable" install botched things up like sometimes.....
    Wow .. so after this did the repos actually all change to /saucy/ from the zsync??

Thanks.

ps. I wanted to start zsyncing in this manner but I didn't know it was that easy to do so. I'm going to give it a try with the i386..iso
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running W. Werewolf /dev/@ 4.05GHz64bit/ onE8400 Core2Duo-Wolfdale+Howler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Just curious....but when you guys talk about using zsync to switch from raring to saucy, do you mean using a saucy daily build iso's option of "upgrading" to do it?
    I had problems trying to switch over to saucy using the terminal commands and have since re-installed 13.04 from a final iso...so i was just wondering, if that method would have gone smoother...

1) Did you just select that option from the daily build and it properly switched everything over?
    2) Also, what about any programs or files you had on raring...did they all transfer over properly too?
    Last edited by craig10x; May 4th, 2013 at 08:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What about
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast