Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updating video drivers

Beans

Updating video drivers

Is there a way to update the video drivers so it's the same version as the one on Intel.com website? Since I think that would help the performance on games. I wonder if the default video driver is old on the Ubuntu. Since it seems like it detects the video card and runs it. But I wasn't able to find a way to find an updated driver like for Windows for Ubuntu. Where is the latest drivers I can get for Intel video cards for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Updating video drivers

Latest stable:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    Latest unstable:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

then run:
    sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get upgrade
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; April 25th, 2013 at 10:24 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Latest stable:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    Latest unstable:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppaorg-edgers/ppa

then run:
    sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get upgrade
    You can copy and paste the commands, so no tying is necessary.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Is it best to use the latest version? Is it stable enough to play games? Or should I just use the stable version? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

the unstable source can have bugs, crashes, etc. it is not recommend unless you know what you are doing
    they both should be good enough for gaming, depending on your hardware
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Well my Sony notebook has Intel HD first generation and my Gateway netbook has Intel GMA 950. Will the latest help games run better overall and get more FPS? Or will it also help some games that never ran will run on the latest?

Beans

I know you say there are bugs but I just wonder if overall it will perform better for games since it's the latest. Kinda like Wine 1.5 works the best since it plays WoW and the stable 1.4 doesn't install the game since it hangs while it's trying to load setup.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas2coolio View Post
    Well my Sony notebook has Intel HD first generation and my Gateway netbook has Intel GMA 950. Will the latest help games run better overall and get more FPS? Or will it also help some games that never ran will run on the latest?
    Each game has its own hardware requirements which you can read at the game's website. Can you name one or more of the specific games you want to play, so we can give you some concrete recommendations?

I don't know about your Sony notebook (please post the specs if you want assistance), but an Intel GMA950 netbook is terrible hardware for 3D gaming, absolutely terrible. There is no updated driver that can magically turn GMA950 into high-performance gaming hardware.

Beans

Well the GMA 950 can get around 40 fps for WoW and can play Doom 3 at low settings when playing on Win XP Home but I just wanted to know that if the latest video driver for Ubuntu will perform the same as the latest one from Intel website. Basicly the latest one was made around 2009 for the GMA 950. The Intel HD drivers the latest one was just made last month or so so it's it newer but I don't know if Ubuntu has the same latest one and will perform the same as the Windows version. I just wanted to get the driver that gets the most FPS as possible. I play older games on the GMA 950 since it can't run the newer ones like Intel HD can. All I wanted to know is that will the latest drivers get the most fps and also gets the most features out of any Intel video cards?

Beans

pqwoerituytrueiwoq gave you great advice in post #2 if you want to test newer video drivers.

More info here (please read carefully): https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast